Manney at the New York Comic Con
|Born||September 29, 1964|
Sleepy Hollow, New York, US
|Alma mater||Wesleyan University|
Patricia J. Manney (born September 29, 1964) is an American writer and speaker on humanist and futurist topics. She is the author of (R)EVOLUTION, a near-future techno thriller, which Publishers Weekly called “intriguing” and described it as being written with “poignancy and sensitivity.
Manney started her career in the motion picture publicity office of Walt Disney/Touchstone Pictures. From there she moved into story development, serving as vice president, production and development of Adelson-Baumgarten Productions, who were behind such films as Hook, Universal Soldier, and It Could Happen to You.
Manney has been involved for many years in the research and presentation of futurist and humanist topics. She is a former chairperson of Humanity+, helping rebrand the organization, launch H+ Magazine and organize Convergence ’08, the first multi-organization conference on futurist topics.
She authored "Why I Believe in Participating in the H+ Future" and "Empathy in the Time of Technology: How Storytelling is the Key to Empathy," an early academic work on the neuropsychology of empathy and future media.
Manney has presented her ideas to numerous groups including the Producers and Directors Guilds of America, NASA-JPL, The Humanity+ Summit and the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies, and is a frequent guest on podcasts including FastForward Radio and The World Transformed.
- "Fiction Book Review : (R)Evolution". Publishers Weekly Review. 9 February 2015. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- "Fascinating info on X:WP/H:TLJ writer Patricia Manney (ITADITH)". Xena online community. 7 March 2008. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- "Lifeboat Foundation Bios: PJ Manney". Lifeboat Foundation. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "P. J. Manney". The World Transformed. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- http://www.dga.org/Events/2013/01-January-2013/ADUPWestNextBigThingSeminar.aspxl[dead link]
- "PJ Manney - YOUR Story Will Create the Future". YouTube. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- Bowermaster, Phil (6 October 2009). "FastForward Radio with George Dvorsky and PJ Manney". The Speculist. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- "Is Technology Just Using Us? (With PJ Manney)". Blog Talk Radio. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- Manney, PJ (September 2008). "Empathy in the Time of Technology: How Storytelling is the Key to Empathy". Journal of Evolution and Technology. 19 (1): 51–61.
- Dvorsky, George (16 November 2008). "Convergence08: PJ Manney on empathy and technology". Sentient Development. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- Brandon, John (3 April 2015). "We Ask 7 Sci-Fi Authors to Write Blade Runner 2". Popular Mechanics. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to PJ Manney.|