PL-6983 is a synthetic peptide and selective MC4 receptor agonist which is under development by Palatin Technologies for the treatment of female sexual dysfunction and erectile dysfunction. It was developed as a successor to/replacement of bremelanotide (PT-141) due to concerns of the side effect of increased blood pressure seen with the latter in clinical trials. Relative to bremelanotide, PL-6983 produces significantly lower increases in blood pressure in animal models. The drug has reportedly been in pre-clinical development for all medical indications since 2008. Palatin has stated that "We are focusing development efforts on bremelanotide for [female sexual dysfunction], but are continuing evaluation of PL-6983." The chemical structure of PL-6983 has yet to be made public.
- Natasha Mitchner (2009). Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder in Women: Implications for Family Practice (PDF). Dowden Health Media. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-05-18. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- Simon JA (2009). "Opportunities for intervention in HSDD" (PDF). J Fam Pract. 58 (7 Suppl Hypoactive): S26–30. PMID 19825316. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-05-18. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- Michael L. Krychman; Sandra Finestone (25 October 2010). 100 Questions & Answers About Breast Cancer Sensuality, Sexuality and Intimacy. Jones & Bartlett Publishers. pp. 120–. ISBN 978-1-4496-1936-7.
- "Research programme: sexual dysfunction therapy - Palatin Technologies - AdisInsight". adisinsight.springer.com. Retrieved 2019-06-06.
- "Palatin Technologies - PL-6983 for Female Sexual Dysfunction". 2015-05-26. Archived from the original on 2015-05-26.
- PL-6983 for Sexual Dysfunction - Palatin Technologies
- PL-6983 for Female Sexual Dysfunction - Palatin Technologies
- Palatin Obtains $21.1M to Advance Programs in Female Sexual Dysfunction and Asthma - Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News
- Research Programme: Sexual Dysfunction Therapy (PL-6983) - Palatin Technologies - AdisInsight
- How Sildenax Works? Composition & Benefits of Sildenax - Nutri Medi
- How Medicines Work To Improve Potency - Vera Farmacia
|This drug article relating to the nervous system is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|