|PLZ-05 Self-Propelled Howitzer|
The PLZ-05 on display for the first time in 2007 at an exhibition at the Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution.
|Place of origin||China|
|Weight||35 tonnes |
|Barrels||52 caliber (PLZ05 & PLZ-52)
54 caliber (PLZ04)
|Rate of fire||10 rounds/min (PLZ05) 
8 rounds/min (PLZ-52)
3 rounds in 15 seconds burst firing rate (PLZ-52)
|Maximum firing range||Varies by munition.
39km (ERFB-BB) 
100km (WS-35) 
|155 mm howitzer|
|12.7 mm anti-aircraft machine gun/ 2 sets of 4-barrel grenade launchers|
|Engine||8V150-cooled turbocharged diesel
800 hp (PLZ05) 
1000 hp (PLZ-52)
|550 km (PLZ05)
450 km (PLZ-52)
|Speed||56 km/h (PLZ05)
65 km/h (PLZ-52)
The PLZ-05 or the Type 05 is a 155 mm self-propelled howitzer developed by the People's Liberation Army of China to replace the Type 59-1 130mm. The PLZ-05 was officially unveiled at the Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution to mark the 80th anniversary of the PLA in July 2007, and first entered service with the PLA in 2008.
PLZ-05 / Type 05
Self-propelled howitzer with a 52 caliber barrel, 800 hp diesel engine & gross weight of 35 tonnes. It is deployed only with the People's Liberation Army. The PLZ-05 can fire the WS-35 shell, a 40 lb (18 kg) guided munition with accuracy of 40 m (130 ft) and a max range reported to be 100 km (62 mi). It is guided using Beidou Navigation Satellite System, the Chinese version of global positioning system, and inertial guidance.
The PLZ-52 is a 155mm / 52 caliber tracked self-propelled howitzer similar in appearance to the PLZ-45, but based on a slightly different hull. Having a gross vehicle weight of 43 tonnes, the PLZ-52 features a new powerpack, which consists of a diesel engine developing 1,000 hp at 2,300 rpm coupled to a fully automatic transmission. This gives a maximum road speed of up to 65 km/h and an operational range up to 450 km. The PLZ-52 howitzer has a maximum firing range of 53 km (with ERFB-BB-RA projectiles), maximum firing rate of eight rounds per minute, a burst firing rate of three rounds per fifteen seconds, and a multiple-round simultaneous impact capability of four rounds.
The driver and powerpack are at the front of the hull with a fully enclosed turret at the rear. It has torsion bar suspension with six dual rubber tyred road wheels, a drive sprocket at the front, idler at the rear and track return rollers. The PLZ-52 is offered for export.
- People's Liberation Army: As of 2015, at least 276 units are in service with the People's Liberation Army (PLA).
- "China Upgrades Self-Propelled Artillery". strategypage.com. 25 July 2010. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "PLZ05 155mm Self-Propelled Howitzer". SinoDefence.com. 2009-02-20. Retrieved 2010-03-21.
- "China's new 155mm artillery round hits 100km targets: Kanwa". WantChinaTimes.com. 1 July 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "PLA in volume equipment PLZ-05 self-propelled howitzer". comhaha.com. 22 December 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Artillery: The Chinese Magical Mystery Shell - Strategypage.com, 28 November 2013
- F Foss, Christopher (18 October 2012). "China details latest PLZ52 155 mm self-propelled artillery system". Jane's International Defence Review. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "PLZ52 155mm 52 Calibre Self-propelled armoured tracked howitzer". armyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2 September 2013.