This article needs to be updated.(October 2018)
|Merdeka PNB 118|
Concept artwork of the PNB 118, with Petronas Twin Towers visible on the right side.
|Former names||KL118, Heritage of Independence, Menara Warisan Merdeka, PNB Headquarters|
Housing Properties Hotel Observation
|Location||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Cost||RM 3.5 billion|
|Owner||PNB Merdeka Ventures Sdn Bhd|
|Height||644 m (2,113 ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Structural engineer||Leslie E. Robertson Associates|
The building will consist of 100 storeys of rentable space, including 83 storeys of office space, 12 storeys of hotel rooms, 5 storeys of hotel residences and a retail business center. The non-rentable space consists of elevators, recreational and maintenance facilities, as well as parking spaces for up to 8,500 cars. 60 out of the 80 storeys of office space will be reserved for Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB), the developer of the project, and its subsidiaries.
The tower is sited at Petaling Hill, a low-density hill directly southeast of the historic Kuala Lumpur old town, on the location of the former Merdeka Park (which was subsequently repurposed into an open-air car park). The site lies within the vicinity of a number of historic landmarks with little modern development: Independence-era sporting venues including the Merdeka Stadium, the National Stadium and the Chin Woo Stadium, the pre-war school grounds of the Methodist Boys' School and Victoria Institution and the stalled Plaza Rakyat project (across the Ampang Line). The Merdeka 118 development, when completed, will also have access to the newly built MRT Sungai Buloh-Kajang Line excavated underneath the southern end of Kuala Lumpur old town.
The tower is designed with a mixture of diamond shaped facets to signify the diversity of Malaysians. It will contain a shopping complex, offices, and residential areas. The structural engineer is Leslie E. Robertson Associates. Environmental Design and Engineering firm NEAPOLI was employed to provide consultancy services towards achieving Platinum rating with three Green Building certification bodies: LEED, Green Building Index (GBI) and GreenRE.
Permodalan Nasional Bhd shortlisted six groups for various construction jobs such as UEM Group Bhd-Samsung, IJM Corp Bhd-Norwest Holdings Sdn Bhd- Shimizu Corp, Malaysian Resources Corp Bhd-China State Construction Engineering Corp, WCT Bhd-Arabtec Construction LLC, TSR Capital Bhd-Daewoo Group, and Seacera Group Bhd-Spaz Sdn Bhd-Sinohydro Corp-Shanghai Construction Group. These companies submitted their bids by January 28, 2015.
On 23 November 2015, PNB announced a contract worth RM 3.4 Billion has been awarded to the joint venture of South Korea’s Samsung C&T and UEM Group Bhd.
On 27 February 2018, it was announced that Park Hyatt will open up a hotel in PNB 118. The Park Hyatt Kuala Lumpur will occupy the top 17 floors of the building; It is slated to have 232 units, including 28 suites and 30 apartments.
Many have criticised this project, claiming that it is wasteful and the RM5 billion funds could have been used for other causes like healthcare or education.
As of September 2016, piling work has been completed and above ground work is about to commence.
In January 2018, construction of the tower had begun.
In November 2018, the Tower had reached 40fl, 200 Meters above ground
- List of buildings with 100 floors or more
- List of tallest buildings in Kuala Lumpur
- Azerbaijan Tower
- Baoneng Shenyang Global Financial Center
- China Zun
- Gezhouba International Plaza
- India Tower
- Jeddah Tower
- Suzhou IFS
- World One
- "KL118 Tower - The Skyscraper Center". skyscrapercenter.com.
- "Warisan Merdeka". CTBUH. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "Warisan Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur - Building 1221285 - EMPORIS". Emporis. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- PM: 118-storey Warisan Merdeka to generate economic opportunities for all. TheStar.com.my
- RM500bil Warisan Merdeka will be country’s new landmark. TheStar.com.my
- http://www.kl118.com.my/malaysia-to-get-new-iconic-landmark-kl118/. Missing or empty
- "New PNB skyscraper to meet the demand for space - Daily Express Newspaper Online, Sabah, Malaysia". dailyexpress.com.my.
- "Underground jewels for the Klang Valley MRT - Features - The Star Online". thestar.com.my.
- Skyscraper Center"KL118 Tower - The Skyscraper Center". skyscrapercenter.com.
- NEAPOLI SDN BHD "NEAPOLI TO HELP BUILD THE WORLDS THIRD TALLEST BUILDING". neapoli.com.my.
- "Pintaras shares up after bagging RM74mil Warisan Merdeka job - Business News - The Star Online". thestar.com.my.
- Sharen (2014-12-05). "Six in the running". NST Online. Retrieved 2015-09-22.
- Joakim Persson (11 October 2015). "PAnother big KONE order in Malaysia". ScanAsia.com. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Zainul, Intan Farhana (23 November 2015). "PNB confirms RM3.4b Menara KL118 contract awarded". The Star. Retrieved 23 November 2015.