|Type||Special-purpose hand-held weapon system|
|Place of origin||Pakistan|
|Designer||Pakistan Ordnance Factories|
|Manufacturer||Pakistan Ordnance Factories|
|Variants||3 (including standard)|
POF Eye is a special-purpose hand-held weapon system similar in concept to the CornerShot that can fire weapons around corners. It was first revealed at the 5th International Defence Exhibition and Seminar (IDEAS 2008), held at the Karachi Expo Centre in November 2008. It is designed for SWAT and special forces teams in hostile situations, particularly counter-terrorism and hostage rescue operations. It allows its operator to both see and attack an armed target without exposing the operator to counter-attack.
The system, especially designed for urban combat, anti-terrorist operations and police SWAT operations, was developed by Pakistan Ordnance Factories. Chairman of the POF board, Lt. Gen. Syed Sabahat Husain, told the visiting delegates at IDEAS 2008 that this new product of POF may meet the requirements of law enforcing agencies in order to curb the terrorist activities. The live demonstration of this gun was also shown to the delegates.
According to one of the designers, Ashfaq Ahmad, the overall designing and finalizing of this gun took 6 months. Several domestic and international participants and delegates took keen interest in the newly introduced anti-terrorist weapon. Once the weapon is put into mass production, POF would take orders for its supply to prospective local and international buyers. To help promote the weapon, POF has conducted training sessions to help law enforcement agencies in Pakistan familiarize themselves with the POF Eye.
As of 2014, the POF Eye has been sold to Pakistani security forces.
The POF Eye is available in several variations. It can be mounted with
- a standard 9 mm semi-automatic pistol;
- a sub-machine gun
- a grenade launcher.
It includes a small high-resolution camera, laser sight and a colour LCD monitor, which can observe and view a target from various vantage points. The video camera enables forces to scan an area prior to pinpointing a target and broadcast the footage directly, in real time, to the operating team behind, or to a Command Post monitor. Its head can turn 75 degrees.
- "POF Eye" (in Urdu). Daily Express. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- "Pakistan finalising arrangements to target global arms market - The Express Tribune". 9 November 2012.
- "More than 30% space booked in advance for IDEAS 2010". Associated Press of Pakistan. 2008-11-27. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- "POF shows full range with new product 'POF Eye'". Business Recorder. 2008-11-27. Archived from the original on 2008-12-05. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "India's Envy: Wants 'POF-EYE' type weapon to combat terror". Retrieved 2011-06-13.
- "POF showcasing 'POF Eye' products in Expo". Pakistan Observer. 2008-11-27. Archived from the original on 2009-05-11. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- "`POF Eye` at Ideas-2008". 28 November 2008.
- "IDEAS 2014: Pak defence exports have doubled in a year, says minister - The Express Tribune". 4 December 2014.
- Omer Jamil (2009-07-06). "POF Eye: Corner Shot Gun By Pakistan Ordnance Factories Eye Weapon System". Archived from the original on 2010-12-30. Retrieved 2010-04-09.