|Initial release||25 March 2001|
5.0.7 / 10 March 2023
|Available in||44 languages|
PSPad editor is a freeware text editor and source editor intended for use by programmers. First released in 2001, this software is produced by a single Czech developer, Jan Fiala, for the Windows platform.
PSPad has many software development-oriented features, such as syntax highlighting and hex editing, and is designed as a universal GUI for editing many languages including PHP, Perl, HTML, and Java. It integrates the use of many project formats for handling and saving multiple files. PSPad also edits UTF-8 encoded texts. Other features include autocompletion, tabs, FTP client and find/replace using regular expressions. One of PSPad bright features is "File Difference" view. It shows three windows at a time. One window shows difference while two others show files itself. And these files can be edited. This is especially useful to manually resolve source file conflicts, fof example detected by SVN.
Overall, reviewers seem to have responded well to PSPad editor. Softpedia rated the software with 5 stars, with a user feedback averaging 4.6 stars, and Download.com's user feedback for the software was 4.5 stars.
PC Pro's web site features an article comparing PSPad with multiple other text editors, praising PSPad for its multitude of features and its availability gratis. However, the review criticises PSPad's poor performance with larger files, instead favouring the shareware NoteTab Pro for those wanting a 'pure' text editor.
Well Done Software, however, is not so critical of the software, claiming that its programming features, while taking time to learn to use, give a worth-while advantage to work flow.
- "Full version: 5.0.7 (770) - 10 March 2023". 10 March 2023. Retrieved 14 March 2023.
- "Start page". pspad.com. Retrieved 1 March 2020.
- the PSPad web site's page on features Archived 2007-09-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Well Done Software's review of PSPad
- Softpedia's review of PSPad
- "Download.com's review of PSPad". Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-08-19.
- "PC Pro's review of PSPad". Archived from the original on 2009-08-11. Retrieved 2007-08-19.