|Developer||PhysTechSoft & Paragon Technology Systems|
|Source model||Closed source|
|Latest release||PTS-DOS 32|
|Kernel type||Monolithic kernel|
|Command-line interface (COMMAND.COM)|
History and versions
PhysTechSoft was formed in 1991 in Moscow, Russia by graduates and members of MIPT, informally known as PhysTech. At the end of 1993, PhysTechSoft released the first commercially available PTS-DOS as PTS-DOS v6.4. The version numbering followed MS-DOS version numbers, as Microsoft released MS-DOS 6.2 in November 1993.
In 1995, some programmers left PhysTechSoft and founded Paragon Technology Systems. They took source code with them and released their own version named PTS/DOS 6.51CD as well as S/DOS 1.0 ("Source DOS"), a stripped down open-source version. According to official PhysTechSoft announcements, these programmers violated both copyright laws and Russian military laws, as PTS-DOS was developed in close relationship with Russia's military and thus may be subject to military secrets law.
PhysTechSoft continued development on their own and released PTS-DOS v6.6 somewhere between and presented PTS-DOS v6.65 at the CeBIT exhibition in 1997. The next version from PhysTechSoft, formally PTS/DOS Extended Version 6.70 was labeled PTS-DOS 2000 and is still being distributed as a last 16-bit PTS-DOS system, as of 2007[update].
Paragon continued their PTS-DOS line and released Paragon DOS Pro 2000 (also known and labeled in some places as PTS/DOS Pro 2000). According to Paragon, this was the last version and all development since then ceased. Moreover, this release contained bundled source code of older PTS-DOS v6.51.
This command is specific to PTS/DOS 2000. Paragon's description is (quote)
- Purpose: Restores the booting of a system installed before PTS-DOS on the disk and restores its the boot sector.
- Syntax: UNINSTALL filename [drive:]
- (balance omitted)
- Intel 80286 CPU or better
- 512 KB RAM or more
- "MS-DOS-Clone made in Russia". Computerwoche. 1994-05-06. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- Official PhysTechSoft site: About PhysTechSoft
- Unofficial PTS-DOS FAQ in English
- Unofficial PTS-DOS FAQ in German
- Official PhysTechSoft site: Operating System PTS-DOS 2000
- "PTS-DOS 2000 Pro User Manual" (PDF). Buggingen, Germany: Paragon Technology GmbH. 1999. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2018-05-12. Retrieved 2018-05-12.
- "PTS DOS 2000 Pro User Manual" (PDF).
- to avoid CopyVio