|Designer(s)||Alexandra Korolkova with Olga Umpelova and Vladimir Yefimov|
|Date released||13 January 2010|
|License||SIL Open Font License or ParaType Free Font License|
The Public Type or PT Fonts are a family of free/libre fonts released from 2009 onwards, comprising PT Sans, PT Serif and PT Mono. They were commissioned from the design agency ParaType by Rospechat, a department of the Russian Ministry of Communications, to celebrate the 300th anniversary of Peter the Great's orthography reform and to create a font family that supported all the different variations of Cyrillic script used by the minority languages of Russia, as well as the Latin alphabet.
Primarily designed by Alexandra Korolkova, the family includes sans-serif and serif designs, both with caption styles for small-print text, and a monospaced font for use in programming. They are available under the English-language SIL Open Font License; the original font, PT Sans, was also released under ParaType's own Free Font License, and regular and bold with italics is free in Google. Additional styles, such as extended, condensed and extra-bold, are sold from ParaType as PT Sans Pro and PT Serif Pro.
The fonts include Latin and Cyrillic characters and covers almost all minority languages of the Russian Federation. The slashed-Р ruble symbol (before it became official in December 2013) is included at the U+20B9…U+20CF code points.
In the most common open-source release, PT Sans and PT Serif feature regular, italic, bold and bold italic designs. They also include a caption style: this is a wider version of the typeface with a greater x-height (taller lower-case letters), designed for legibility at small font sizes and on outdoor signs. PT Sans also includes a condensed version in regular and bold without italics. In caption styles, PT Serif has a caption italic style while PT Sans has a bold version. PT Mono includes regular and bold styles.
Commercial releases include for PT Sans additional light, demi-bold, extra bold and black weights, in regular, narrow, condensed and extra-condensed styles. PT Serif gains an additional 32 styles, with narrow and extended widths, black, extra-bold and demi-bold weights. The professional releases also add text figures and small caps.
Operating system support
PT Astra fonts
- Создан шрифт, поддерживающий все языки народов России (in Russian). Vesti. 2010-01-13. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Разработан новый шрифт с поддержкой всех языков Российской Федерации (in Russian). Rossiyskaya Gazeta. 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "New version of PT Sans". 2010-04-02. Archived from the original on 2010-08-19. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "PT Sans Pro". MyFonts. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "PT Serif Pro". MyFonts. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "Ruble symbol". 2013-12-11. Retrieved 2013-12-11.
- "Bug 556308 - Review Request: paratype-pt-sans-fonts - A pan-Cyrillic typeface". Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Gentoo Bug 314503 - media-fonts/pt-sans (new package)". Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "OS X Lion default fonts".
- "ПараТайп Новости - Информация о новых гарнитурах и о различных шрифтовых событиях". www.paratype.ru (in Russian). Archived from the original on 2018-10-04. Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- "PT Astra Sans". www.paratype.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- "PT Astra Serif". www.paratype.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 2020-04-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to PT Typefaces.|