PULSE (computer system)
The contract for the system was awarded to Andersen Consulting (now Accenture) and is managed by a directorate of three senior Gardaí and an Accenture consultant. The system is run by the PULSE Project teams of the IT section of the Garda Síochána.
Under data protection legislation, it is possible to request personal data held on the system, unless that information would identify someone else or if disclosing the personal data is being held in order to prevent, investigate or detect crime or is being used for prosecuting or arresting offenders.
In 2007 between 40 and 50 Gardaí were questioned as part of an internal inquiry into allegations that Gardaí had supplied confidential information to insurance companies in order to settle road traffic claims. The PULSE system was included in the investigation.
PULSE has been the subject of complaints by the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors and the Garda Representative Association on grounds that it is unreliable and has caused backlogs in bringing cases to court. Kathleen O'Toole criticised the system for being difficult to use and not being user-friendly.
- Police National Computer, the equivalent system in the United Kingdom
- Prawo Jazdy (alleged criminal)
- Call for probe into garda record system Archived 2008-10-25 at the Wayback Machine, Cormac O'Keefe, Irish Examiner, 21 March 2005, retrieved 20 March 2009
- An Garda Síochána Annual Report 1999, retrieved 20 March 1999
- "Sunday Tribune". tribune.ie. Archived from the original on 2021-01-24. Retrieved 2021-01-15.
- Written Questions, Garda Information and Communications Technology, Dáil Éireann Archived 2021-01-21 at the Wayback Machine, 5 November 2019
- Access to Garda records Archived 2009-02-19 at the Wayback Machine, citizensinformation.ie, retrieved 20 March 2009
- Garda inquiry questions nearly 50 officers over claims of insurance company collusion Archived 2009-12-01 at the Wayback Machine, Mick McCaffrey, Sunday Tribune, 24 June 2007, retrieved 20 March 2009
- Gardai probe insurance "rms' misuse of records[permanent dead link], Mick McCaffrey, Sunday Tribune, 3 June 2007, retrieved 20 March 2009
- Gardaí need better technology - O'Toole Archived 2012-10-13 at the Wayback Machine, Conor Lally, The Irish Times, 15 January 2009, retrieved 20 March 2009