PWG World Championship
|PWG World Championship|
Human Tornado with the PWG World Championship belt
|Promotion||Pro Wrestling Guerrilla|
|Date established||August 30, 2003|
|Current champion(s)||Zack Sabre Jr.|
|Date won||March 5, 2016|
The PWG World Championship is a professional wrestling world championship in the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla (PWG) professional wrestling promotion. It was first introduced in 2003 as the PWG Championship. The championship is generally contested in professional wrestling matches, in which participants execute scripted finishes rather than contend in direct competition.
The title became known under its current name in February 2006, when PWG had a two-event European Vacation tour stopping in Essen, Germany and Orpington, England. The title has also been defended in Japan in the Dragon Gate promotion, as well as in the United Kingdom in 1PW and again on PWG's European Vacation II tour in Paris, France, Portsmouth, England and Essen, Germany. The title was later defended by Chris Hero in Queensland, Australia on two occasions.
The inaugural champion was Frankie Kazarian, who won the championship by defeating Joey Ryan in the finals of a sixteen man tournament on August 30, 2003, at PWG's Bad Ass Mother 3000 – Stage 2 event. At 538 days, Adam Cole's only reign is the longest in the title's history. Bryan Danielson is the shortest reigning champion in history by vacating it immediately after winning it for the second time. Kevin Steen holds the record for most reigns, with 3. As of June 2017, Zack Sabre Jr. is the current champion in his first reign, after defeating Roderick Strong on March 5, 2016, to win the title. Overall, there have been 24 reigns among 18 different wrestlers.
- "3/5 PWG All-Star Weekend Night Two: Roderick Strong vs. Zack Sabre Jr. for the PWG Championship, The Young Bucks vs. Bobby Fish and Kyle O’Reilly for the PWG Tag Titles". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. 2016-03-06. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Chris Hero's first reign". Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.com. Retrieved 2016-09-03.
- "Frankie Kazarian's first reign". Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.com. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Adam Cole's first reign". Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.com. Retrieved 2012-12-02.
- "Bryan Danielson's second reign". Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.com. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Kevin Steen's first reign". Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.com. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Kevin Steen's second reign". Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.com. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Kevin Steen's third reign". Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.com. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- Westcott, Brian. "PWG Heavyweight Title History". Solie.org. Retrieved 2007-07-18.