Wade Keller (born May 22, 1971) is an American professional wrestling journalist who runs the Pro Wrestling Torch newsletter.
Pro Wrestling Torch
Keller founded Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter (a/k/a PWTorch, or simply The Torch) in October 1987, when he was a junior in high school. The newsletter is published weekly from his Minnesota home, with the content also published to an accompanying website which was launched in 1999. Keller's work includes weekly columns, news reporting and analysis, as well as interviews in both print and audio format. He works closely with wrestlers, promoters and wrestling fans to gather the information for his features. The Pro Wrestling Torch Livecast is broadcast via BlogTalkRadio.
One of Keller's yearly features is the Torch Talk, in which he conducts interviews with wrestlers. Keller is also the host of Pro Wrestling's Ultimate Insiders, a series of interviews with prominent wrestling personalities that are released on DVD. The first edition featured Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara, former writers for WWE and WCW, while the second edition was conducted with Jeff and Matt Hardy. Another was conducted with ECW and XPW wrestler New Jack.
Wade Keller also created and currently oversees MMA Torch, a website devoted to the world of mixed martial arts (MMA). It website has been around since the early 2000s and was one of the very first sites to ever devote coverage to the world of MMA. He has interviewed Dana White, original UFC matchmaker Art Davie and UFC announcer Mike Goldberg. Before the MMA Torch website was launched, Keller's MMA coverage was included in the pages of the Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter, including coverage of the very first UFC pay-per-view. The site provides news, interviews, analysis and opinions as well as a message board feature.
Awards and accomplishments
- George Tragos/Lou Thesz International Wrestling Institute
- Jim Melby Award (2015)
Former WCW and TNA executive Eric Bischoff ordered the Pro Wrestling Torch to "admit that their 'news' is nothing more than marks speculating" and said that "Wade Keller can be the mayor of the Village of Idiots". Keller wrote that Bischoff would "apparently go to almost any length to make [Pro Wrestling Torch] commentary on TNA's shortcomings into some sort of personal grudge".
Paul "Triple H" Levesque, who called Pro Wrestling Torch a "dirtsheet" and a "gossip column", said in an interview that Diamond Dallas Page became upset with how he was portrayed in the Pro Wrestling Torch because "Bischoff [put] a lot of stock into this". He said Page contacted Keller, who subsequently portrayed Page in a better light. Keller responded to the accusation, stating that it was another writer from his newsletter who was responsible for Page's negative coverage.
Keller has had a difficult relationship with industry veteran Jim Cornette. The Pro Wrestling Torch site reports that Keller has "been threatened with death by gunshot over the phone by Jim Cornette more than once". Keller has said that he pair were once friendly, but claimed that when Cornette rose to powerful positions within the industry, he reacted negatively to Keller's fair criticisms of his work, which included being called "real harshly" on "racist" creative aspects.
- "About Us: Our history, our staff, our exclusive features, what sets us apart from the rest". MMA Torch. April 17, 2009. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- "HOF news: PWTorch editor Wade Keller to receive Jim Melby award at National Wrestling Hall of Fame weekend". Pro Wrestling Torch. February 3, 2015. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Wade Keller (January 17, 2011). "Keller's Take: Bischoff's latest game to blame the messenger and shift focus from his failures". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- David Shoemaker (August 23, 2013). "'Getting Ready for a Car Crash': An Interview With Triple H". Grantland. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Wade Keller (February 24, 2017). "Ask the Editor". Wade Keller Hotline. 16–21 minutes in. Pro Wrestling Torch.
- "About Wade Keller". Pro Wrestling Torch. November 29, 2009. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Aaron Rupar (April 2, 2014). "Wade Keller: The man holding up the Pro Wrestling Torch". City Pages. Retrieved April 7, 2017.