PZL M-24 Dromader Super
|M-24 Dromader Super|
|First flight||July 20, 1987|
|Number built||4 prototypes|
|Developed from||M-18 Dromader|
The M-24 Dromader Super (Dromedary Super) is a single engine agricultural aircraft, developed in the 1980s by the WSK-Mielec (later PZL-Mielec) from the PZL-Mielec M-18 Dromader. It remained a prototype.
The plane was developed as a bigger and more capable variant of a successful agricultural plane PZL-Mielec M-18 Dromader. In its construction some components of the M-18 were used, but it is generally bigger and strengthened, powered by more powerful engine. Wings were fitted with a new central section, of a bigger span.
The first prototype of the M-24 flew on July 20, 1987, powered with 736 kW Shvetsov ASh-62IR radial engine. The second prototype of a variant designated M-24B was powered by the Polish-designed 1200 hp (883 kW) PZL-Kalisz K-9AA radial engine and it first flew in 1988. The third prototype of a variant designated M-24T was powered by the Pratt & Whitney PT6A-45AG turboprop engine. 4 prototypes were built in total, carrying registration markings SP-PFA to SP-PFD. The plane, however, did not enter production.
The experience with the M-24 was utilised in creating M-18B variant of the M-18, powered with the PZL K-9 engine, flown in 1993.
Metal construction low-wing cantilever monoplane, conventional in layout. Monocoque fuselage, covered with duralumin. Three-part wings, fitted with flaps and slats. Two seat cabin (pilot and optional passenger or mechanic, in tandem), placed high. Behind engine there is a 2700-litre container in a fuselage for chemicals or water. The plane has exchangeable sets of equipment for spraying, cropdusting or fire extinguishing. Conventional fixed landing gear with a tail wheel.
Single radial engine, four blade propeller. Fuel tanks for 1400 l.
- Crew: 1, pilot
- Capacity: 1 passenger and 2700 l (2000 kg) of chemicals
- Length: 10.8 m (35 ft 5 in)
- Wingspan: 19.90 m (65 ft 3¼ in)
- Height: 3.8 m (12 ft 5½in)
- Wing area: 45 m² (484 ft²)
- Empty weight: 2,870 kg (6,314 lb)
- Useful load: 2130 kg (4,690 lb)
- Loaded weight: 5,000 kg (11,000 lb)
- Max. takeoff weight: 5,500 kg (12,100 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × PZL K9AA air-cooled radial engine, 883 kW (1200 hp)
- Maximum speed: 220 km/h (119 knots, 137 mph)
- Cruise speed: 190 km/h (103 knots, 118 mph)
- Stall speed: 110 km/h (59 knots, 68 mph)
- Range: 1,800 km (972 nm, 1,120 mi)
- Service ceiling: 4,000 m (13,100 ft)
- Rate of climb: 3 m/s (590 ft/min)
- Wing loading: 111 kg/m² (22.7 lb/ft²)
- Power/mass: 0.18 kW/kg (0.11 hp/lb)
- Related development
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to PZL aircraft.|