SZD-38 Jantar 1
|SZD-38 Jantar 1|
|Designer||Dipl-Ing. Adam Kurbiel|
|First flight||14 February 1972|
|Number built||2 x SZD-37x + 57 x SZD-38|
The SZD-38 Jantar 1 (Amber) is a glider designed and produced in Poland from 1971.
After SZD's success in designing high performance all wood gliders, the design group's first product using Fibreglass composite materials emerged as a very competitive glider. Two prototypes of the SZD-37x Jantar were built (SP-2636 and SP-2637), using fibreglass reinforced plastic fuselage and tail-unit with an aluminium alloy tubular tail boom, SP-2636 was built with a 17.5m span wing and SP-2637 a 19m span wing. The first flight of SP-2636 was carried out on 14 February 1972 and extensive testing carried out before the second prototype, SP-2637 (first flight 13 May 1972), was entered in the 1972 World Gliding Championships at VrŠac in Yugoslavia, taking the first place in the newly established 19m Class and the 3rd in the Open Class, flown by St. Kluk.
Production of the 19m span Jantar commenced as the SZD-38 Jantar 1 in 1973 with 57 built by 1975, 24 for export. The success of the SZD-37x prototypes in the World Championships was not repeated, due partly to shrinkage of the epoxy resin causing irregularities in the wing surfaces, and partly to the improved performance of the competing aircraft. The SZD-38 broke seven Polish National records in 1973, but was soon out-classed in competitions. The standard instrument fit included Variometer, Turn and Bank, Compass as well as standard ASI, Altimeter etc.. Provision was also made for an Artificial Horizon and oxygen equipment.
- SZD-37x Jantar – The first two prototype aircraft, SP-2636 with 17.5m span wings and SP-2637 with 19m span wings. Two built.
- SZD-38 Jantar 1 – Production version of the second SZD-37x prototype with 19m span wings. 57 built.
Data from 
- Crew: 1
- Length: 7.11 m (23 ft 4 in)
- Wingspan: ('SZD-37x' 17,5m) 19 m (('SZD-37x' 57 ft 5 in) 62 ft 4 in)
- Height: 1.61 m (5 ft 3 in)
- Wing area: ('SZD-37x' – 12.77m2) 13.38 m2 (('SZD-37x' – 137.5 ft2) 144 ft2)
- Aspect ratio: ('SZD-37x' - 24) 27
- Wing profile: Fx-67 K-170 > Fx-67 K-150
- Empty weight: ('SZD-37x' – 266 kg) 295 kg (('SZD-37x' – 586.4 lb) 650.4 lb)
- Gross weight: ('SZD-37x' - 390 kg), without ballast 417 kg, with ballast 515 kg (('SZD-37x' – 860 lb), without ballast 919.3 lb, with ballast 1,135.4 lb)
- Maximum speed: ('SZD-37x' - 250 km/h) (with ballast 230 km/h) 245 km/h (('SZD-37x' – 155 mph) (with ballast 143 mph) 152 mph)
- Stall speed: ('SZD-37x' 68 km/h) 64 km/h (('SZD-37x' 42 mph) 39.8 mph)
- G limits: ('SZD-37x' +5.3 / -3.5 ) +5.3 / -2.65
- Maximum glide ratio: ('SZD-37x' - 43 @ 100 km/h, 62 mph) 47 @ 95 Km/h (59 mph)
- Rate of sink: ('SZD-37x' - @ 75km/h – 0.6m/s) @ 75km/h – 0.5 m/s (('SZD-37x' - @ 75km/h – 118 ft/min) @ 75km/h – 98.4 ft/min)
- Simons, Martin. Sailplanes 1965-2000 2nd revised edition. EQIP Werbung und Verlag G.m.b.H.. Königswinter. 2005. ISBN 3-9808838-1-7
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SZD gliders.|
- Glider Competition Classes