Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||G. Marthandan|
|Produced by||Maniyanpilla Raju|
|Screenplay by||Bipin Chandran|
|Narrated by||Anil Nedumangad|
Aby Tom Cyriac|
Gopi Sundar (score)
Maniyanpilla Raju Productions
|Distributed by||Anto Joseph Release|
|Box office||est. ₹16.34 crore (US$2.4 million)|
Paavada (English: Skirt), is a 2016 Indian Malayalam film directed by G. Marthandan and written by Bipin Chandran, based on the story he co-wrote with Shibin Francis. The film is themed on the life of two alcoholics. It stars Prithviraj Sukumaran, Anoop Menon, Asha Sarath, Miya, Nedumudi Venu and Maniyanpilla Raju. The film was produced by Maniyanpilla Raju. The music was composed by Aby Tom Cyriac and released under the label Muzik 247.
An alcoholic duo, met at a de-addiction center helps each other to arrange their lives back together with their persistent illness. Pambu Joy's (Prithviraj) married life is in a muddle due to his alcoholism. Pavada Babu's (Anoop Menon) life is in pieces due to a film he produced in which Sicily, Joy's mother, was the heroine. For financial gain the film was adulterated by his friend Eldho (Shajon). Eldho intends to re-release the film's 3D extended version. Both Pambu Joy and Pavada Babu fights through their alcoholism to stop the re-release of the film due to the added pain that will cause for Babu and to Joy's mother Sicily.
- Prithviraj Sukumaran as Pambu Joy
- Anoop Menon as Pavada Babu/Prof. Babu Joseph
- Asha Sarath as Cicily, Joy's mother
- Miya as Sinimol, Joy's wife
- Maniyanpilla Raju as Advocate Gunasekaran Nair
- Nedumudi Venu as Pillai
- Kalabhavan Shajohn as Eldo Kunnanthanam
- Sharaf U Dheen as Vilakkoothi Rajan
- Sudheer Karamana as Priest
- Chemban Vinod Jose as Fr. Kattipparamban
- Jayakrishnan as Kallu Varkki, Joy's father
- Manikuttan as SI Suresh
- Kunjan as Bar Manager
- Murali Gopy as Chandramohan
- Saikumar as Joseph
- Siddique as Advocate Anantharama Iyyer
- Anil Nedumangad as Drunker in toddy shop
- Lakshmi Sanal as Sajini/Saleenamma
- T. Parvaty as Mother Superior
- Chali Pala as Advocate
- Sunil Sukhada as Thevally Manoharan
- Binu Adimaly as Police constable Sugathan
- Kalabhavan Haneef as Varghese
- Dinesh Nair as Thattukada Kunjumon
- Renji Panicker as Paul Scaria
- Shaju as MLA's brother-in-law
- Purushu as Ayyappan
- Manju Warrier as Babu's fiancée (cameo appearance)
Earlier, Shobana was approached for the role of Sicily, but the actress turned down the role as she was not willing to do mother role of Prithviraj, she was replaced by Asha Sarath. Actor Jayasurya has sung a song for the film, titled "Kuruthakkedinte Koodanu," composed by Aby Tom Cyriac, which describes the character of Joy (Prithviraj). According to Maniyanpilla Raju, the film will have "a lot of twists".
|Soundtrack album by Aby Tom Cyriac|
|Producer||Maniyan Pilla Raju|
|Aby Tom Cyriac chronology|
The film's songs are composed by Aby Tom Cyriac with lyrics written by B. K. Hari Narayanan. There are three songs and one is a promo song sung by Nedumudi Venu. Jayasurya, K. G. Ranjith and Nedumudi Venu are the singers. The music was released through the label Muzik 247. The audio music launch was held in a low profile event at Kochi in December 2015, the money generated from which went to Chennai flood victims' relief funds. Aby Tom Cyriac has sampled music from Indian ethnic genre of the early 80s and late 90s.
|3.||"Eha Loka Jeevitham"||Nedumudi Venu||2:38|
Paavada released on 15 January 2016.
The Times of India rated 3.5 out of 5 stars and stated that the movie does try to explain alcoholism as a way of dealing with helplessness and how it can ruin one's credibility. Rediff.com gave 2.5 out of 5: Bipin Chandran's screenplay discusses the ethical, moral and legal issues pertaining to such situations. There are elaborate court scenes that test our patience for two and a half hours. This is one of the fertile periods in Prithviraj's career and he makes it even better with this film. He has to be a breezily comic fellow in the first half that he does unpretentiously making this film yet another winner as far as his performance goes. He gets able support from Anoop Menon, Nedumudi Venu and Maniyanpilla Raju. Paavada can be called a decent effort only if we ignore the flaws. Indiaglitz rated 4 out of 5 and said The story, screenplay and dialogues by Bipin Chandran deserves credit. Director Marthandan could capture the essence of the story and deliver a good narration. Background score was conventional. Editing and cinematography were good with the editing being sharp and camera angles very effective, especially the dramatic part involving Prithviraj and the fight sequences. Performances from Prithviraj, Anoop Menon and Nedumudi were outstanding. Prithviraj has proved his range with this cinema as he lives as Joy onscreen. Anoop Menon holds his own in a demanding character. Miya was adorable as Joy's wife. 'Paavada' is sure to stay around for a long time for its one-liners and humour.
Paavada grossed approximately ₹1.23 crore (US$180,000) in the opening day from Kerala box office. The film's final gross collection is estimated as ₹16.34 crore (US$2.4 million) from Kerala with a share of ₹7.17 crore (US$1.0 million). It completed 100 days theatrical run in the state.
- "Pavada(2016 film) – Duration". 13 February 2016. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- Anu James (6 April 2016). "Kerala box office: Here is the collection report of 'King Liar,' 'Kali,' 'Vettah,' 'Paavada,' 'Puthiya Niyamam'". International Business Times. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- Anu James (28 January 2016). "Maniyanpilla Raju reveals why Shobana turned down role as Prithviraj's mother in 'Paavada'". International Business Times. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Anjana George (December 23, 2015). "Jayasurya's song for Prithviraj is out". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 October 2015.
- Sanjith Sidhardhan (December 7, 2015). "Prithviraj's outstanding in Pavada: Maniyanpillai". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Anjana George (November 9, 2015). "Hari Narayanan to pen songs for 'Pavada'". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "Spotted Prithviraj during Pavada audio launch in Kochi". The Times of India. Times News Network. December 17, 2015. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Anjana George (November 17, 2015). "Pavada to have ethnic background score". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Sanjith Sidhardhan (January 3, 2016). "Prithviraj and Fahadh to lock horns in Jan". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Onmanaorama Staff (18 January 2016). "'Pavada' rules box office; 'Two Countries', 'Charlie' running successfully". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 28 January 2016.