|Born||November 21, 1977|
|Alma mater||Real Conservatorio Superior de Música de Granada|
|Children||Nicolás Heras Igartiburu (2016)|
Pablo Heras-Casado (born 21 November 1977, Granada, Spain) is a Spanish conductor. The son of a retired police officer, he began singing with a school choir at age 7 and piano lessons at age 9. He studied music at the conservatory in Granada. He later attended the Universidad de Granada, concentrating on art history and acting. He studied conducting further at the Universidad de Alcalá de Henares. His conducting teachers have included Harry Christophers and Christopher Hogwood.
In the mid-1990s, Heras-Casado participated in the founding of the early music ensemble Capella Exaudi. At the Universidad de Granada, he helped found the ensemble SONÓORA, with a focus on modernist and avant-garde music. In 2000/01, he was an assistant conductor with the Joven Orquesta Nacional de España. He founded the Barroca de Granada Orchestra in 2002. In 2004, he established an "International Choral Conducting Masterclass" in Valle de Ricote (Murcia). In 2006/07, he was an assistant conductor with the Opéra de Paris. In 2007, Heras-Casado cofounded La Compañía Teatro del Principe, a period instrument ensemble based in Aranjuez, Spain which focuses on neglected operas of the Spanish baroque era. His work in contemporary music has included conducting the world premieres of Marc-Olivier Dupin's ballet Les enfants du paradis for Opéra National de Paris (2008) and of the opera Matsukaze by Toshio Hosokawa (2011).
Outside of Spain, Heras-Casado made his US debut in June 2008 with the Ensemble ACJW at Carnegie Hall, New York. His UK debut followed in August 2008 with the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain. Heras-Casado first conducted the Orchestra of St. Luke's in the summer of 2011. In December 2011, the orchestra announced the appointment of Heras-Casado as its principal conductor, with immediate effect, and with an initial contract through 2015. In May 2014, the orchestra announced the extension of his contract through the 2016/17 season. He made is debut at the Metropolitan Opera in New York in 2013 conducting Michael Mayer's production of Rigoletto. In September 2014, he was appointed the next principal guest conductor of the Teatro Real in Madrid, with an initial contract of 3 seasons over the period 2015-2018. In the 2016 season he debuted with the Vienna Philharmonic, the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra and at the Melk Barocktage.
In 2016/17 he returns to the New York and Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestras, San Francisco Symphony and the Philharmonia Orchestra. He is re-invited to the Münchner Philharmoniker, Orchestra dell’Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia, Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra and Salzburg’s Mozartwoche. He continues his touring and recording partnerships with the Balthasar Neumann Chor & Ensemble in Monteverdi’s Selva morale e spirituale, and Freiburger Barockorchester, focusing on the works of Mendelssohn, including his violin concerto with Isabelle Faust. Opera projects include Le Nozze di Figaro at Staatsoper Berlin, Carmen with Orchestre de Paris at Festival d’Aix en Provence and Der Fliegende Holländer at Teatro Real.
Heras-Casado's honours have included winning the Lucerne Festival Conductors' Competition in 2007. He received the "Critical Eye" prize of Radio Clásica, part of RTVE, in November 2010. He has conducted commercial recordings for the harmonia mundi, Decca Classics, and Deutsche Grammophon labels. He will also become the Orchestra of St. Luke’s first Conductor Laureate, a new position created for him, starting in the 2017/18 season.
Awards and honours
- 2007 - Winner of the Lucerne Festival Conductor's Competition, Switzerland.
- 2010 - 'Critical Eye' award to the best classical music artist by Radio Clásica/RTVE, Spain
- 2011 - Medal of Honour by the Rodríguez Acosta Foundation, Spain
- 2011 - Diapason d'Or by the French music magazine Diapason for the recording of Kurt Weill's 'Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny'
- 2012 - Medal of Honour of the City of Granada, Spain
- 2013 - Musical America Conductor of the Year
- 2015 - Presse musicale internationale (PMI): Grand Prix Antoine Livio
- 2016 - Deutsche Schallplattenkritik Preis for "Mendelssohn: Symphonies 3 & 4" album on harmonia mundi
- 2016 - “Granada tourism Ambassador” Award from the City of Granada
- 2016 - “Andalucía Ambassador” Award from the Andalusian Government
- 2017 - Orchestra of St. Luke’s first Conductor Laureate
- 2008 - Weihnachten in Europa. Glor Classics (Sono Music)
- 2009 - Puerto – Boreas, Fantasía Primera. Trito
- 2010 - Castel: La Fontana del Placer (Zarzuela in two acts, 1776). Compañía Teatro del Príncipe. World premiere recording. Música Antigua Aranjuez.
- 2010 - Boccherini: Clementina (Zarzuela in two acts). Compañía Teatro del Príncipe World premiere recording. Música Antigua Aranjuez
- 2011 - Weill: Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny (DVD). Teatro Real, Madrid
- 2011 - Schubert: Symphony No. 7 in B minor, "Unfinished" (DVD). Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France. Les Clefs de l'Orchestre. Jean François Zygel Naïve
- 2011 - Rota: Trombone Concerto. Frederic Belli Plays Works By Berio, Rabe, Martin, Delerue & Rota. Hänssler Classic
- 2013 - Verdi: Baritone Arias. Plácido Domingo. Sony
- 2013 - Schubert: Symphonies Nos. 3 and 4. Freiburger Barockorchester. harmonia mundi
- 2014 - El Maestro Farinelli with Concerto Koln. Archiv
- 2014 - Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 2 "Lobgesang". Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks. harmonia mundi
- 2014 - Bonno: L'isola disabitata. World first recording. Compañia del Principe, Aranjuez. Maa Ediciones
- 2014 - Donizetti: L’elisir d’amore (Blu-ray & DVD). Deutsche Grammophon
- 2015 - Schumann : Violin Concerto, Isabelle Faust, Freiburger Barockorchester. harmonia mundi
- 2015 - Praetorius. Balthasar-Neumann-Chor und Ensemble. Archiv
- 2015 - Schumann: Piano Concerto, Piano Trio No.2 with pianist Alexander Melnikov, cellist Jean-Guihen Queyras and violinist Isabelle Faust. harmonia mundi
- 2016 - Schumann: Cello Concerto, Piano Trio No.1 with cellist Jean-Guihen Queyras, violinist Isabelle Faust, pianist Alexander Melnikov, and the Freiberger Barockorchester. harmonia mundi
- 2016 - Mendelssohn: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4.Freiberger Barockorchester. harmonia mundi
- 2016 - Shostakovich: Cello Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 with cellist Alisa Weilerstein and the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra. Decca Classics
- 2016 - Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 1 and The Tempest with the Orchestra of St. Luke’s. harmonia mundi
- 2016 - Verdi: La Traviata (DVD). C Major Entertainment
- 2016 - Sotelo: El Público (DVD). Naxos
- 2017 - Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto, Symphony No.5, Hebrides Overture. With Isabelle Faust. harmonia mundi
- William Robin (2012-08-02). "A Renaissance Man, and Many Eras Besides". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-08-08.
- Zachary Woolfe (2014). "Conductor of the Year 2014". Musical America. Retrieved 2014-07-25.
- "Pablo Heras-Casado Named Principal Conductor of Orchestra of St. Luke's" (PDF) (Press release). Orchestra of St. Luke's. 6 December 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-24.
- "Orchestra of St. Luke's Extends Contract for Principal Conductor Pablo Heras-Casado Through 2017" (PDF) (Press release). Orchestra of St. Luke's. 27 May 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-06.
- "The King of the Strip Evades Revenge – Rigoletto, With Pablo Heras-Casado's Met Debut" by Anthony Tommasini, The New York Times, 12 November 2013
- "Pablo Heras-Casado Principal Guest Conductor At The Teatro Real" (Press release). Teatro Real. 3 September 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-06.
- "Chronological Biography - Pablo Heras-Casado - Spanish conductor". pabloherascasado.com. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "About - Pablo Heras-Casado - Spanish conductor". pabloherascasado.com. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "Pablo Heras-Casado se alza con el premio Ojo Crítico de Música Clásica". Radio y Televisión Española. 2010-11-05. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- Michael Tumelty (2014-03-09). "CD review: Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra/ Heras Casado, Mendelssohn Symphony no 2: Lobgesang". Herald Scotland. Retrieved 2014-07-25.
- Tim Ashley (2014-07-10). "El Maestro Farinelli review – flamboyant conducting and punchy playing". Herald Scotland. Retrieved 2014-07-25.
- "Orchestra of St. Luke's appoints Pablo Heras-Casado as its first Conductor Laureate - Pablo Heras-Casado - Spanish conductor". pabloherascasado.com. Retrieved 2017-08-21.