Pablo Gabino Rey Sendón
|Education||University of Barcelona, Baruch College|
He grew up into a family of artists, Rey began learning the art of painting from the hand of his father, the Spanish realist painter Gabino Rey. In 1989, he received the Talens prize, in the contest of young painters at the Sala Parés Gallery (Barcelona), and in 1992, he won the Raimon Maragall i Noble prize in the same contest. In 1994 the University of Barcelona acquired in open call one of his works for the patrimony collection. In 1994 he graduated in Fine Arts from the Barcelona University.
In 1996, Rey moved to New York City to live and work. In 1997, he participated in The Grammercy International Art Fair in New York, with the gallery Pierogi 2000 and was selected along with other artists from New York to participate in the exhibition "New Tide" at the Williamsburg Art & Historical Center in Brooklyn, New York. In 1998, he was selected along with Juan Uslé, Francisco Leiro, Peyo Irazu, Antonio Murado, Victoria Civera and other artists to participate in the documentary film 98 IN NY produced by Canal +, about Spanish artists in New York.
In 1999, Rey traveled by car from New York to Texas, from this trip he made a series of works titled NY-TX, to exhibit in the Holland Tunnel Art Projects gallery in New York City in June 2000. In 2004, the exhibition "Two painters on the same canvas," was presented with painter Luis Trullenque in Benedormiens castle in Santa Cristina d’ Aro in Girona.
In 2005 at the presentation of the exhibition "Complementary States" at the Carmen Tatché Gallery, the philosopher and sociologist of art Arnau Puig presented the catalog-text "Painting set free and freedom in the painting of Pablo Rey", introductory essay to the art and aesthetic concept of the work from the Barcelona's artist, starting from and based on the series of paintings from said exhibition. In the same act the critic and art historian Pilar Giró stated that Pablo Rey is a singular voice in the Spanish art scene and has managed to reconcile rationality and lyricism in his work.
In 2009, Rey presented in Sant Feliu de Guíxols the exhibition Conjuncions three painters on the same canvas, with painters Alex Pallí and Luis Trullenque. Exhibition that was inaugurated that summer in the old monastery of Sant Feliu de Guíxols and in 2011 it traveled to the House of Culture of Gerona.
In 2013 he held an individual exhibition entitled 'Recent Work' at the Fundació Casa Josep Irla, in Sant Feliu de Guíxols, Costa Brava, Gerona and in 2014 he toke part in the exhibition ' Framed ', in the Holland Tunnel gallery from New York.
The Catalan painter has had numerous other exhibitions, most notably those of the Williamsburg Art & Historical Center in Brooklyn, New York. 76Varick Gallery, New York City. Gallery of The Nederlandche Bank of Amsterdam. IX Biennial Art City of Oviedo. Holland Tunnel Art Projects in New York City. Lewisham Art House, London. And MundoArt Gallery in Laren, Amsterdam.
Selection of outstanding works from different eras in the Barcelona artist's career.
- Santos Torroella, Rafael (23 October 1992). "El pintor Gabino y Dau al Set". ABC · Madrid. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- Paso, Begoña. "Un merecido homenaje al pintor Gabino Rey". La Voz de Galicia.
- Cultura, El Periodico. "El Periodico". elperiodico.com. El Periodico. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Patrimoni". University of Barcelona. Archived from the original on 12 February 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- VV. AA. (2008). Pablo Rey 1996-2008 Pinturas (SAP ed.). Madrid: SAP. p. 164. ISBN 9788469168899.
- MACBA. "Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art, (Library)". MACBA. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- Oliver, Conxita (2011). Fons d'Art del Castell de Benedormiens (Ajuntament de Castell-Platja d'Aro Regiduria de Cultura ed.). Girona: Ajuntament de Castell-Platja d'Aro. p. 157. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Puig, Arnau (30 July 2008). "Painting set free and freedom in the painting of Pablo Rey". scribd. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- El Punt, Avui (27 July 2009). "Pallí, Rey i Trullenque mostren "Conjuncions"". El Punt Avui. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Ràdio Sant Feliu (27 July 2013). "Exposició de Pablo Rey a Casa Irla". Ràdio Sant Feliu. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Duch Culture USA (30 January 2015). "Ongoing exhibition 'Framed' at Holland Tunnel Gallery". Duch Culture USA. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, MNCARS. "Pablo Rey Paintings 1996-2008". SAP, Madrid.
- Museo d'art contemporani de Barcelona MACBA Library. "Pablo Rey Pinturas 1996-2008". SAP, Madrid.
- Pablo Rey, Pinturas / Paintings 1996-2008, SAP Editor, Madrid, 2008. ISBN 978-8-469-16889-9. MNCARS library, Reina Sofía National Art Center Museum
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pablo Rey.|
- Official website: Pablo Rey Painter Artist 2019.
- Biography: Pablo Rey. 2019.
- Exhibitions: Pablo Rey. 2019.
- Interview: with Pilar Giró (Curator and art critic)
- Essay; Pablo Rey: The Nature of Painting (2008), by Pilar Giró (Historian and art critic). On academia.edu
- Conversation: Extracts from a conversation with Pablo Rey, by Carles Lapuente (Poet) 2008. On academia.edu
- Press article; Pablo Rey: Fidelitat a la pintura. by Eudald Camps (Art critic) 2012.
- Catalogue: Pablo Rey, Complementary states Carmen Tatché Gallery (2005) - Library of the Centro Galego de Arte Contemporaneo, Santiago de Compostela.
- Monograph: Pablo Rey, Pinturas / Paintings 1996-2008 SAP Editor, Madrid (2008) - MACBA library, Museo d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona, BCN.
- Bibliography: Pablo Rey. 2019.
- Arteinformado: Pablo Rey Artist. (Ibero-American art space)
- Wikiart: Pablo Rey