Pacific Heights, San Francisco
|Nickname(s): The Devil's Backbone|
|• Supervisor||Mark Farrell|
|• State Assembly||Phil Ting (D)|
|• State Senator||Mark Leno (D)|
|• U. S. Rep.||Nancy Pelosi (D)|
|• Total||0.967 sq mi (2.50 km2)|
|• Land||0.967 sq mi (2.50 km2)|
|• Density||22,677/sq mi (8,756/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (UTC−8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC−7)|
|ZIP codes||94109, 94115, 94123|
Pacific Heights is an affluent neighborhood of San Francisco, California, which is known for the notable people who reside in the area. It is located in one of the most scenic and park-like settings in northern California, offering panoramic views of the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco Bay, the Palace of Fine Arts, Alcatraz, and the Presidio. Its location provides a temperate micro-climate that is clearer, but not always warmer, than many other areas in San Francisco.
The Pacific Heights Residents Association defines the neighborhood as inside Bush Street, Presidio Avenue, Union Street, and Van Ness Avenue.
Pacific Heights is situated on a primarily east-west oriented ridge that rises sharply from the Marina District and Cow Hollow neighborhoods to the north to a maximum height of 370 feet (110 m) above sea level. Pacific Heights features two parks, Lafayette and Alta Plaza. Visible to the north are the Golden Gate Bridge, the Marin Headlands, and Alcatraz Island.
Lower Pacific Heights refers to the area located south of California Street down to Post Street. Though previously simply considered part of the Western Addition, this new neighborhood designation became popularized by real estate agents in the early 1990s.
The neighborhood was first developed in the 1870s, with small Victorian-inspired homes built. Starting around the beginning of the 20th century, and especially after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, many were replaced with period homes. Still residential, the area is characterized by painted Victorian style architecture.
Attractions and characteristics
The oldest building in Pacific Heights, located at 2475 Pacific Avenue, was built in 1853, though the majority of the neighborhood was built after the 1906 earthquake. The architecture of the neighborhood is varied; Victorian, Mission Revival, Edwardian, and Château styles are common.
Most of the neighborhood's boutiques and restaurants can be found along Fillmore Street, south of Pacific Avenue. They include stores like Athleta, Prana, Marc by Marc Jacobs, and Ralph Lauren. Other businesses in Pacific Heights are located on California and Divisadero Streets, as well as on Van Ness Avenue.
Pacific Heights is home to several schools, including the San Francisco University High School; Drew School (formerly Drew College Preparatory School); the Hamlin School; Convent of the Sacred Heart High School; Stuart Hall High School, and Town School for Boys, among others.
Government and infrastructure
- Larry Ellison: cofounder and CEO of Oracle Corporation
- Jonathan Ive: chief designer at Apple Inc.
- Jay Paul: billionaire real estate developer
- Nancy Pelosi: Former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives and current United States House of Representatives Minority Leader
- Kathryn DeSutter: Socialite
- Danielle Steel: author
- Peter Thiel: cofounder of PayPal
- "Statewide Database". UC Regents. Retrieved December 8, 2014.
- "California's 12th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC.
- Pacific Heights neighborhood in San Francisco, California (CA), 94109, 94115, 94123 detailed profile
- "Mission Statement." Pacific Heights Residents Association. Retrieved on February 1, 2009.
- Bakalinsky, Adah (October 9, 2013). Stairway Walks in San Francisco. Wilderness Press. p. 66. ISBN 978-0-89997-637-2.
- O'Brien, Tricia (2008). San Francisco's Pacific Heights and Presidio Heights. Arcadia Publishing. p. 7. ISBN 978-0-7385-5980-3.
- Richards, Rand (2002). Historic Walks in San Francisco: 18 Trails Through the City's Past. Heritage House Publishers. p. 305. ISBN 978-1-879367-03-6.
- "Address, Contact and Office Hours." Consulate-General of Germany in San Francisco. Retrieved on January 31, 2009.
- "Consulate General San Francisco." Embassy of Greece Washington, DC. Retrieved on January 31, 2009.
- "Welcome to the web site of the Consulate General of Italy in San Francisco." Consulate-General of Italy in San Francisco. Retrieved on January 31, 2009.
- "Portugal Visa Information." United Nations. Retrieved on February 1, 2009.
- Home page. Consulate-General of Russia in San Francisco. Retrieved on January 31, 2009.
- "Welcome to Vietnam consulate-San Francisco,USA." Consulate-General of Vietnam in San Francisco. Retrieved on January 31, 2009.
- "Northern Station." (Archive) San Francisco Police Department. Retrieved on September 1, 2013.
- John Arlidge (March 17, 2014). "Jonathan Ive Designs Tomorrow". Time. Time Inc. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- "Jay Paul". Forbes. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to
Pacific Heights, San Francisco.
- phra-sf.org: Pacific Heights Residents Association
- The San Francisco Chronicle: Pacific Heights (reference article)
- The San Francisco Chronicle: "The Perfect Pacific Heights Commute, the scenes from Pacific Heights to Lucas Film in the Presidio"
- Flickr group—Pacific Heights Neighborhood (photographs pool)
- San Francisco/Golden Gate travel guide from Wikivoyage