|Purpose||Water conservation think tank|
|Peter H. Gleick|
Executive Assistant/Office Manager
|Expenses (2016)||US$2.11 million:4|
The Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security is an American non-profit research institute created in 1987 to provide independent research and policy analysis on issues of development, environment, and security, with a particular focus on global and regional freshwater issues. It is located in Oakland, California.
The Institute's primary focus is on water conservation and demand management. The mission of the Institute is to "[create] and [advance] solutions to the world’s most pressing water challenges".
History and research
Institute staff analyze science and policy to provide workshops and briefings for communities involved in issues surrounding water, climate, energy, environmental security, and globalization, with a focus on hydrologic sciences, water management, and water policy. Institute researchers in 2014 warned that the lack of replenishment water in the Salton Sea was leading to a "period of very rapid deterioration." With the increased shrinkage, dust storms would increase and a rotten-egg smell could reach to the coastal cities. A known publication from the Institute is The World's Water: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources. In 2012 the Institute produced a new book A 21st Century U.S. Water Policy.
- Propp Christenson Caniglia (30 May 2017). "Pacific Institute Financial Statements December 31, 2016 and 2015" (PDF). Pacific Institute. Propp Christenson Caniglia, LLC.
- "The Pacific Institute: A Global Water Think Tank". Europe Now. December 11, 2018.
- "Mission and Vision". Pacific Institute.
- "Seawater Desalination Select Committee on Coastal Protection and Access to Natural Resources". coastalprotection.assembly.ca.gov.
- "Talks, Panels, and Workshops by Pacific Institute Experts - Pacific Institute". Pacific Institute.
- Perry, Tony (November 21, 2014) "'Looming environmental crisis' at Salton Sea prompts plea for help" Los Angeles Times
- Christian-Smith, Juliet; Gleick, Peter, eds. (2012). A 21st Century U.S. Water Policy. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 334. ISBN 978-0-19-985944-3.
- "The Pacific Institute Announces Leadership Transition" (Press release). Pacific Institute. 2016-03-23. Archived from the original on 2016-03-29. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- Wolff, Eric (2016-03-24). "Mover, Shaker". Politico. Retrieved 2016-03-28.