|Purpose||Water conservation think tank|
|Dr. Peter H. Gleick|
Executive Assistant/Office Manager
|Expenses (2016)||US$2.11 million:4|
The Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security is an American non-profit research institute created in 1987 to provide independent research and policy analysis on issues of development, environment, and security, with a particular focus on global and regional freshwater issues. It is located in Oakland, California (USA).
The focus of the Institute is to find solutions to problems like water shortages and contamination, environmental conflicts, global climate change, and environmental terrorism. The mission of the Institute is to "conduct interdisciplinary research and partner with stakeholders to produce solutions that advance environmental protection, economic development, and social equity—in California, nationally, and internationally."
Since its founding, the institute staff has analyzed scientific and policy issues, published papers, and provided both community and high-level policy workshops and briefings around water, climate, energy, environmental security, globalization, and more, with a special focus on issues in the hydrologic sciences, water management, and water policy. Its interdisciplinary approach is applied to resource issues, strategies for community involvement, and economic globalization, and they also address the misuse and abuse of science in the policy context. The Institute has also worked on new thinking around sustainable water resources management and use. In 2011, the Institute was awarded the first U.S. Water Prize. Researchers at the Institute also defined the concept of peak water. Institute researchers in 2014 warned that the lack of replenishment water in the Salton Sea was leading to a "period of very rapid deterioration." With the increased shrinkage, dust storms would increase and a rotten-egg smell could reach to the coastal cities. The Institute's most well-known publication is The World's Water: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources (published by Island Press, Washington, D.C.). In 2012, the Institute produced a new book "A 21st Century U.S. Water Policy" (published by Oxford University Press).
- Awarded the 2006 U.S. EPA Region 9 Environmental Award for the West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project. 
- Awarded the 2009 U.S. EPA Region 9 Environmental Award for “cost-effective, environmentally friendly water management strategies.” 
- Awarded the Department of the Interior’s “Partners in Conservation” award in 2009 and again in 2012.
- 2011 Winner, along with the Peter Gleick of the first U.S. Water Prize
- 2013 Honored with Peter Gleick with a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Silicon Valley Water Conservation Awards, March 21, 2013
- Propp Christenson Caniglia (30 May 2017). "Pacific Institute Financial Statements December 31, 2016 and 2015" (PDF). Pacific Institute. Propp Christenson Caniglia, LLC.
- "Mission and Vision - Pacific Institute". Pacific Institute.
- "Pacific Institute: Research for People and the Planet". Pacific Institute. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "About the Pacific Institute". Pacific Institute. Archived from the original on January 9, 2008. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- "Seawater Desalination Select Committee on Coastal Protection and Access to Natural Resources". coastalprotection.assembly.ca.gov.
- "Talks, Panels, and Workshops by Pacific Institute Experts - Pacific Institute". Pacific Institute.
- "See All Publications". Pacific Institute.
- See, for example, the Institute's 2007 testimony on the integrity of science to the U.S. Congress. "Testimony of Dr. Peter Gleick" (PDF). Hearing on Climate Change Research and Scientific Integrity. February 7, 2007. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- See, for example, reports in Science  and Nature : Peter Gleick, "Global Freshwater Resources: Soft-Path Solutions for the 21st Century," State of the Planet, Science 302 (November 28, 2003): 1524–28. doi:10.1126/science.1089967. "Soft Water Paths," Nature 418 (July 25, 2002): 373.
- Gleick, Peter H.; Palaniappan, M. (2010-04-08). "Peak Water: Conceptual and Practical Limits to Freshwater Withdrawal and Use". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 107 (25): 11155–11162. doi:10.1073/pnas.1004812107. PMC .
- Perry, Tony (November 21, 2014) "'Looming environmental crisis' at Salton Sea prompts plea for help" Los Angeles Times
- The World's Water 2006–2007: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources, by Peter H. Gleick et al. ISBN 1-59726-106-8, Island Press.
- The World's Water 2008–2009: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources, by Peter H. Gleick et al. ISBN 1597265047, Island Press.
- The World's Water, Volume 7: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources, by Peter H. Gleick et al. ISBN 1597269999, Island Press.
- Christian-Smith, Juliet; Gleick, Peter, eds. (2012). A 21st Century U.S. Water Policy. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 334. ISBN 978-0-19-985944-3.
- "The Pacific Institute Announces Leadership Transition" (Press release). Pacific Institute. 2016-03-23. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- Wolff, Eric (2016-03-24). "Mover, Shaker". Politico. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "The Pacific Institute Names Jason Morrison as President". Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- "U.S. EPA Region 9 Environmental Awards Announcement 2006". U.S. EPA.
- "U.S. EPA Region 9 Environmental Awards Announcement 2009". U.S. EPA.
- "U.S. Department of the Interior Partners in Conservation Awards Ceremony. Thursday May 7, 2009" (PDF). U.S. Department of the Interior.
- "U.S. Department of the Interior Partners in Conservation Awards Ceremony. Thursday, October 18, 2012" (PDF). U.S. Department of the Interior.
- The World's Water – a water-related website maintained by the Pacific Institute
- Development, Peter H. Gleick ; with Heather Cooley ... [et al.] ; Pacific Institute for Studies in; Environment,; Security (2006). The world's water, 2006-2007 : the biennial report on freshwater resources ([Online-Ausg.] ed.). Washington, D.C.: Island Press. ISBN 1-59726-106-8.
- Christian-Smith, Juliet; Gleick, Peter H; Cooley, Heather (2016). A twenty-first century US water policy. ISBN 019049087X.