Pacific State (song)
|Single by 808 State|
|Released||21 November 1989|
|808 State singles chronology|
"Pacific" is a single by English electronic music group 808 State, released in 1989. It exists in various mix versions known by different titles, such as "Pacific State" (as included on the Quadrastate mini-album that year) and "Pacific 202" (as included on the album Ninety).
Background and release
Gerald Simpson began working on the track before leaving 808 State in 1989, after which it was released and hit the charts. However, according to Simpson, they had finished and released the track without his permission. Although Simpson was credited on its first release on the album Quadrastate both as a writer and co-producer, the dispute escalated as Simpson claimed to have written the entire track.
According to Massey, "Pacific" was "the last track at The Haçienda for the six months before it even got out. Then Gary Davies heard it in Ibiza and started playing it on daytime Radio 1. A few features made it stand out: the birdsong and the saxophone. I played the sax part – which is good because I didn't really play saxophone at the time. It's a moot point whether I can play that part properly now."
Release and legacy
In retrospective reviews, The Independent reviewed a live concert by 808 State in 1997, describing "Pacific State" as "the song that made a nation chill out. Mellow but insistent beats, a light garnishing of wildlife noises, and a soprano sax threading through it like a viper in the Eden undergrowth. It was the aural equivalent of throwing a party inside a giant flotation tank. That was 808 State."
- "808 State - Discography". www.808state.com. Retrieved 26 August 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Pacific State - 808 State". Allmusic. All Media Guide. Retrieved 25 August 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Quadrastate". Allmusic. All Media Guide. Retrieved 25 August 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "808 State". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 25 August 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Colin Larkin, ed. (2000). The Virgin Encyclopedia of Nineties Music (First ed.). Virgin Books. p. 5. ISBN 0-7535-0427-8.
- Q, May 2001, page 7
- "Pacific - 808 State". Allmusic. All Media Guide. Retrieved August 25, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Gilbey, Ryan (February 7, 1997). "Pop Live: 808 State LA2, London". The Independent. p. 12.
- Pacific State (song) at Discogs