California Miramar University
Seal of California Miramar University
|Motto||Scientia Potentia Est|
Motto in English
|"Knowledge is Power"|
|Location||San Diego, California, US|
|Colors||Dark red, blue, gold|
California Miramar University (CMU) is a for-profit higher education institution in San Diego, that offers degree and certificate programs through distance education, a combination of on-line and classroom (hybrid) delivery and traditional classroom delivery. It is nationally accredited through Distance Education and Training Council (DETC) and Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
California Miramar University was approved and certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) on September 17, 2012. SEVP and SEVIS are administrated by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the principal investigative arm of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS). CMU offers immigration status sponsorship for international ESL, certificate and degree program students through a student visa (I-20).
According to California Miramar University's website, CMU purchased the assets of Pacific Western University – California, including its State of California approval status, in late 2005. As part of the asset sale, an institutions transition plan was implemented that called for PWU (California) to relocate to San Diego and teach out all active students over 18 months.
In early 2007 the conditions of the asset transition were complete and the California State Approval was officially transferred to CMU. At that time Pacific Western University (California) ceased operations. Later that year California Miramar University filed for accreditation. As part of the accreditation process the accrediting agency ruled that CMU and PWU California were separate schools that operated under separate academic standards. The accreditation agencies stipulated that graduates of Pacific Western University - California would not be eligible to receive CMU diplomas or transcripts and that the records of the two schools should be held separate. To comply with accreditation requirements, CMU transferred copies of all PWU – California institutional and student records to Education Services, which now serves as the official custodian of records for all PWU students. (For details on Pacific Western University - California prior to 2005 see the Pacific Western University (Hawaii) article.)
On June 6, 2009, California Miramar received accreditation by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), and on December 18, 2009, CMU was awarded a second accreditation from the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS). Both DETC and ACICS are recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the United States Department of Education as official accrediting bodies.
California Miramar University is California State Approved by means of accreditation under the California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009, section 94890. State approval is regulated by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education. (BPPE)
California Miramar University's MBA program was listed as one of the top ten MBA programs in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal, ranked by enrollment for 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.
California Miramar University offers the degree programs and certificate programs in English as a Second Language (ESL) and hospitality management as well as undergraduate level degrees in public administration and business administration. The bachelor level program in business administration include seven separate majors. The graduate level degrees include six separate majors in the Masters of Business Administration degree program, Master of Science degree programs in strategic leadership, and four separate majors in the Doctor of Business Administration degree program.
CalJOBS approved certificate programs
The university also offers a wide range of short term certificate programs including Cisco certifications and Microsoft certifications. These programs are approved by the State of California's Employment Development Department and are eligible for financial assistance under the Workforce Investment Act(WIA). The programs are listed at the CalJOBS website.
CMU's accrediting agency ruled that CMU and PWU - California were separate schools that operated with separate academic standards. PWU California alumni were determined not to be alumni of California Miramar University. To view PWU - California alumni visit Pacific Western University (Hawaii).
CMU is DANTES/VA DSST approved and offers several special programs for members of the United States Military, enabling members of the armed forces to continue their education through both distance, hybrid and classroom based learning, even while on active duty. In some cases, military experience and coursework may be accepted as transferable units.
CMU is also a member of the following organizations:
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
- Education USA
- Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) DSST
- Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)
- Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC)
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Western Association of Veteran Education Specialists (WAVES)
- Yellow Ribbon America
- College Board
- Concurrent Admissions Program for Army Enlistees (ConAP)
- San Diego Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- San Diego County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (SDCHCC)
- San Diego North Chamber of Commerce (SDNCC)
- San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce
- California Association of Private Postsecondary Schools (CAPPS)
- Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS)
- Distance Education and Training Council (DETC)
- Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)
- California Miramar University Financial Aid
- California Miramar University in Guide to California Colleges and Universities, California Post-Secondary Education Commission
- "DETC 2009–2010 Directory of Accredited Institutions" (PDF). DETC. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 31, 2010.
- ACICS Council Actions December 2009
- California Private Postsecondary Act of 2009
- BPPE List of Approved Schools
-  BPPE official website
- "List of Top 10 MBA Programs in San Diego" (PDF), San Diego Business Journal Higher Education Supplement, August 22, 2011: A16–A18
- Ilana Herring, California Miramar University (August 25, 2011). "California Miramar University Joins "The List" of Top 10 MBA Schools in San Diego – Published Today in the San Diego Business Journal" (press release). Yahoo! News.
- "California Miramar University Catalog" (PDF). 2014 15. Check date values in: