The Pacific Rim comprises the lands around the rim of the Pacific Ocean. The Pacific Basin includes the Pacific Rim and the islands in the Pacific Ocean. The Pacific Rim roughly overlaps with the geologic Pacific Ring of Fire.
List of countries on the Pacific Rim
- Oceania (sovereign states)
- Oceania (dependent territories)
- British Overseas Territory
- External territory of Australia
- French overseas collectivities
- Insular Chile
- Realm of New Zealand
- United States insular areas
- Northern America
- Central America
- South America
The Pacific is a hotbed of overseas shipping. The top 10 busiest container ports, with the exception of Dubai's Port of Jebel Ali (9th), are in the Rim nations. They are home to 29 of the world's 50 busiest container shipping ports:
Various intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations focus on the Pacific Rim, including APEC, the East-West Center, Sustainable Pacific Rim Cities and the Institute of Asian Research. In addition, the RIMPAC naval exercises are coordinated by United States Pacific Command.
- Clausen, A. W. The Pacific Asian Countries: A Force For Growth in the Global Economy. Los Angeles: World Affairs Council, 1984. ED 244 852.
- Cleveland, Harlan. The Future of the Pacific Basin: A Keynote Address. New Zealand: Conference on New Zealand's Prospects in the Pacific Region, 1983.
- Gibney, Frank B., Ed. Whole Pacific Catalog. Los Angeles, CA: 1981.
- "The Pacific Basin Alliances, Trade and Bases." GREAT DECISIONS 1987. New York: Foreign Policy Association, 1987. ED 283 743.
- Palin, Michael (1997). Full Circle. BBC Books. ISBN 0-563-37121-8.. A travelogue of a complete journey around the Pacific Rim accompanying the 1997 TV series Full Circle with Michael Palin.
- Rogers, Theodore S., and Robert L. Snakenber. "Language Studies in the Schools: A Pacific Prospect." EDUCATIONAL PERSPECTIVES 21 (1982): 12–15.
- Wedemeyer, Dan J., and Anthony J. Pennings, Eds. Telecommunications—Asia, Americas, Pacific: PTC 86. "Evolution of the Digital Pacific." Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Pacific Telecommunications Council: Honolulu, Hawaii, 1986. ED 272 147.
- West, Philip, and Thomas Jackson. The Pacific Rim and the Bottom Line. Bloomington, Indiana, 1987.
- Wojtan, Linda S. (December 1987). "Teaching about the Pacific Rim. ERIC Digest No. 43". ERIC. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- "Countries of the Pacific Rim". About.com. Retrieved 2008-06-05.