Packeteer, founded in 1996 by Robert Packer and Brett Galloway, was an I.T. company based in Cupertino, California that was listed on the NASDAQ. Networking appliances focus on Application Traffic Management and optimization for wide area networks. They held at least 40 patents for various network optimization methods. Packeteer was acquired by Blue Coat Systems in 2008.
Packeteer was a contributing member of the Apdex Alliance.
Their main product lines were:
- PacketShaper (Traffic shaping, compression, TCP & HTTP acceleration, analysis, reporting)
- SkyX (TCP acceleration and compression, high latency link optimization) via the Mentat acquisition.
- iShared (WAFS and TCP acceleration, optimization, compression and caching) via the Tacit Networks acquisition.
- iShaper (Introduced: May 7, 2007. Combines PacketShaper and iShared technologies into a single appliance.
- Mobiliti software (data protection and link optimization for mobile business users. via the Tacit Networks acquisition.
- PolicyCenter (centrally manages the configuration, policy management, software distribution and adaptive response tracking of multi-unit deployments.)
- In 1999, Packeteer had an Initial Public Offering on NASDAQ.
- In 2000, Packeteer acquired the company Workfire Technologies and released their AppCelera product based on the Internet Web Acceleration technology developed by Workfire.
- In 2004, Packeteer acquired the company Mentat, integrating their SkyX product into the Packeteer portfolio.
- In 2006, Packeteer acquired the company Tacit Networks, maker of the iShared and Mobiliti product lines.
- On April 21, 2008, Blue Coat System announced its intention to acquire Packeteer, Inc.
- On June 9, 2008 - Packeteer, Inc. was acquired by Blue Coat Systems.
- Packeteer > Company - About Packeteer
- Packeteer > Company Archived 2007-01-03 at the Wayback Machine.
- Greene, Tim (April 21, 2008). "Blue Coat to buy Packeteer Traffic shaping, application visibility, customer list are the reasons". Network World. Retrieved 27 December 2009.
- Lawson, Stephen (April 21, 2008). "Blue Coat to Acquire Packeteer for $268 Million". PC World. Retrieved 27 December 2009.
- Press release - Blue Coat Completes Acquisition of Packeteer June 9, 2008