|Regions with significant populations|
|• India • Gujarat|
|• Gujarati, Kutchi|
|• Hindu 100% •|
Padharias get their name as traditional eaters of roots of Bid plant. The ' Bid ' root was unknown to almost all the people of Gujarat except Padharia and some other people. The Padharia males needed an amount of 1-1/2 to 2 seer and females needed 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 seer of 'Bid' food to keep themselves up, as noted by British authorities in their survey of 1905.
At present, the total population of Padharias is estimated to be of 24,000 and they are centralized and spread only in Gujarat state of India. They were traditionally involved in professions like catching and selling fish as well in cultivation.
-  Encyclopaedia of backward castes, Volume 2 By M. L. Mathur, page 148
-  Land and people of Indian states and union territories: in 36 volumes. Gujarat By S. C. Bhatt, Gopal K. Bhargava page 110
-  Agricultural ledger, Volume 11, 1905, page 580
-  Agricultural ledger, Volume 11, 1905, page 38
- Gazetteer of the Bombay Presidency: Káthiáwar, 1884