This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Established||September 11, 1957|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Med. Tri Hanggono Achmad, dr|
Jalan Dipati Ukur No. 35, Bandung 40132,
|Campus||Dipatiukur Campus, Bandung Jatinangor Campus, Sumedang|
Universitas Padjadjaran (Padjadjaran University or UNPAD) is an institution of higher learning located in Bandung, which is the provincial capital of West Java, Indonesia. Unpad was established on September 11, 1957, and officially opened by the President of Republic Indonesia Sukarno on the September 24, 1957.
Unpad has gained the most applicant and highest passing grade in National Selection of State University Entrance (SNMPTN) since 2013. In 2014, Unpad was officially set as State University of Legal Entities and accredited "A" by BAN-PT. It also ranked as top ten universities in Indonesia by Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education in 2016.
- 1 History
- 2 Rector
- 3 Campuses
- 4 Facilities
- 5 Faculties
- 6 Finance
- 7 Notable people and alumni
- 8 References
The name of Padjadjaran was taken from the name of a kingdom in Sunda, Kingdom of Padjadjaran, ruled by King of Prabu Siliwangi. The background of establishment began from the willingness of community leaders to improve youth education to higher degree in West Java at the time. Since Bandung Institute of Technology had more focus on engineering science, people were keen to have other state university which provides education in various field of science. The university was officially opened by the President of Republic Indonesia, Sukarno, on September 24, 1957. On November 6, 1957, Prof. Iwa Koesoemasoemantri was appointed the President of Padjadjaran University.
When established, the university had four departments: Law, Economics, Medicine, and Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Now it has developed into 16 faculties and several postgraduate programs, 44 undergraduate programs (Strata 1/S1), two specialist programs, nine doctorate programs (Strata 3/S3), 19 master degree programs (Strata 2/S2), five profession programs, one four-year diploma program (D4), and 32 three-year diploma programs (D3).
Initially established in Bandung, all undergraduate departments have been relocated to Jatinangor, a town near Sumedang. The concept was inspired by "Tsukuba Science City". The university started to moved gradually, started from Faculty of Agriculture in 1983 and followed by the others. The rectorate building in Jatinangor was officially inaugurated.
- Prof. Iwa Koesoemasoemantri (1957–1961)
- Prof. Soeria Soemantri (1961–1964)
- Moh Sanusi Hardjadinata (1964–1966)
- Prof. RS Soeria Atmadja (1966–1973)
- Prof. Dr. Mochtar Kusumaatmadja (1973–1974)
- Prof. Hindersah Wiraatmadja (1974–1982)
- Prof. Dr. Yuyun Wirasasmita (1982–1990)
- Prof. Dr. H. Maman P. Rukmana (1990–1998)
- Prof. Dr. HA Himendra Wargahadibrata (1998–2007)
- Prof. Dr. Ir. Ganjar Kurnia, DEA (2007–2015)
- Prof. Dr. med. Tri Hanggono Achmad, dr. (2015–recent)
Campus located in Jatinangor. The other main campus is at Dipati Ukur Campus, located in Bandung City, is now dedicated mostly for postgraduate program. Besides those two locations, there are several campuses spread over in Bandung City Area including Sekeloa, Singaperbangsa, Dago 4, Simpang Dago, Dago Atas, Dago Pojok, Banda, Cimadiri, Cisangkuy, Eikman, Pasirkaliki, Teuku Umar, and some other locations.
There are several dormitories:
- Asrama Padjadjaran I - allocated for students funded by Bidik Misi scholarship
- Asrama Padjadjaran II - allocated for students funded by Bidik Misi scholarship
- Asrama Padjadjaran III - allocated for pharmacy students
- Asrama Pedca
- Bale Padjadjaran - allocated for first-year medicine students
All of student dormitories are located in Jatinangor, Sumedang.
The university has some free campus transportation operated from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Jatinangor campus.
As one of the most important facility, Unpad has a central library located in front of Dipati Ukur campus, named UPT Perpustakaan Universitas Padjadjaran. It is now moved to Jatinangor campus. Moreover, each of faculties in the university has at least one library in their buildings.
Unpad has two health center located in Dipati Ukur, named Bale Kesehatan, and in Jatinangor, named Klinik Padjadjaran (relocated to Jl. Sayang). Not only for students, Klinik Padjadjaran also provides health service for public.
There are two sport facilities: Stadion Jati Padjadjaran (outdoor) and Bale Santika (indoor). Both are located in Jatinangor campus.
The university has numerous meeting rooms located in Dipati Ukur campus (including Bale Rumawat, Ruang Serba Guna 2 and Graha Sanusi Hardjadinata) and Jatinangor campus (including Bale Sawala, Bale Rucita and Bale Santika). The graduation ceremony is regularly held in Graha Sanusi Hardjadinata. Moreover, the building is also open for public reservation.
Several students from non-social science faculty visit Center for Basic Science Program, known as PTBS or PPBS, in their first year. Within this period, they learn basic science: biology, chemistry, physics and calculus. There is also Center for Language Program developed by Faculty of Literature.
In 2013, Unpad built a mosque in Jatinangor campus named Masjid Raya Unpad (MRU) - also known as Bale Aweuhan. There is also a mosque in Dipati Ukur campus.
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Social and Political Sciences
- Faculty of Literature
- Faculty of Psychology
- Faculty of Animal Husbandry
- Faculty of Communication Sciences
- Faculty of Fisheries and marine science
- Faculty of Agriculture Industrial Technology
- Faculty of Nursing Science
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Geological Engineering
Faculty of Medicine
The faculty has five main buildings at the Jatinangor campus:
- A1: Administration.
- A2: Tutorial rooms, staff rooms, laboratories for physiology, pharmacology, biochemistry.
- A3: Interactive tutorial rooms (capacity of 300 persons), digital information system library and one computer laboratory.
- A4: Staff rooms and laboratories of anatomy, parasitology, microbiology, biology cell and 30 computerized tutorial rooms connected with intra internet, library and supporting facilities for discussion.
- A5: For general lectures, 30 clinical skill laboratories, 30 tutorial rooms, one computer laboratory for computer access and application of computerized statistics which is free to access by students and staffs
The faculty has the main library at Jatinangor campus and libraries at each department of the faculty as well as the library at Hasan Sadikin Hospital.
The main library in A3 has 31000 holdings (textbooks, national and international journals, newsletter, magazine, dissertation/thesis/final papers). Besides those, the library has electronics journals which provides 300 titles.
The library has air-conditioned rooms, reading rooms (100 users capacity), computer facilities connected to the internet to access electronic journal (e-library).
The faculty has four laboratories:
- Clinical skill laboratory
- Biomedical laboratory
- Computer laboratory
- Learning evaluation laboratory
Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
The faculty has several study programs, including doctorate degree, master degree and bachelor degree. Most of its buildings are located in Jatinangor campus. The faculty has 21 laboratories, used to facilitate both academic and research activities, and a library. Each year, students of this faculty have significant participation in National Mathematics and Natural Sciences Olympics and Program Kreativitas Mahasiswa, organized by Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education.
- Chemistry Sciences
- Chemistry Sciences
- Applied Statistics
- Information Technology
- Electronic Engineering
In September 2011, the university announced its intention to build a shopping centre and a three storey hotel in Jl. Dago with the profits used to finance the university.
Notable people and alumni
- Aas Asikin Idat, President Director of PT Pupuk Indonesia
- A. Bakir Pasaman, President Director of PT Pupuk Kaltim
- Abdullah Gymnastiar, Islamic preacher, writer, entrepreneur
- Akil Mochtar, Chief Justice of the Constitutional Court of Indonesia
- Abraham Mose, President Director of PT LEN Industri
- Abrun Abubakar, President Director of PT TIMAH (Persero) Tbk
- Adi Marsiela, Chairman of The Alliance of Independent Journalist Bandung
- Agus Gumiwang Kartasasmita, Deputy Chairman of Commission I of People's Representative Council (2009-2014)
- Agus Teguh Prakosa Andarusman (Sandy), musician
- Achmad Baiquni, Director of Bank Negara Indonesia
- Achmad Tossin, Director of Human Resources and Governor of PT. Pupuk Indonesia
- Achjar Iljas, Independent Commissioner of Bank International Indonesia
- Achmad Roestandi, Justice of Constitutional Court of Indonesia
- Acil Bimbo, musician
- Adrian E. Sjamsul, Director of PT Reswara Minergi Hartama (Reswara)
- Alo Liliweri, sociologist
- Agum Gumelar, Minister of Transportation, Coordinating Ministrer for Political, Legal, and Security Affairs
- Ahmad Fajar, President Director of Mutiara Bank
- Ahmad Fuadi, writer, entrepreneur
- Ahmad Irfan, President Director of Bank BJB
- Ahmad M. Ramli, Director General of Intellectual Property Right in Ministry of Law and Human Rights
- Ahmad Subagdja, President Director of PT TIMAH (Persero) Tbk
- Airin Rachmi Diany, Mayor of South Tangerang
- Andhi Nirwanto, Deputy Attorney General
- Andri T. Hidayat, Finance Director of Keuangan PT Pertamina
- Anggono Raras, Director of PT. Angkasa Pura Solusi
- Annisa Pohan, entertainer
- Armida Alisjahbana, Minister of National Development Planning/ National Development Planning Agency
- Adi Ariantara, Chief Commissioner of PT Food Station Tjipinang Jaya
- Arie Wibisono, Director of PT Universal Batam Energy and PT Energi Listrik Batam
- Arief Suditomo, penyiar, Pimpinan Redaksi RCTI
- Arief Yahya, Director of PT. Telkom, Minister of Tourism
- Arifin Asydhad, Division Head of detik.com
- Arnes Lukman, Director of PT Plaza Indonesia Realty, Tbk.
- Asmawi Syam, President Director of Bank Rakyat Indonesia
- Atje Muhammad Darjan, Marketing and Business Development of Perum Peruri, Direktur Perum Percetakan Uang RI, Director of PT. Paper Surabaya
- Avril Kundai Mhembere, Miss Zimbabwe
- Ayi Vivananda, Mayor of Bandung City (2008-2013)
- "Selama Empat Tahun, Peminat Unpad Tertinggi | Republika Online". Republika Online. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- "Unpad in SNMPTN 2016, With Most Applicants and Highest Passing Grade - Universitas Padjadjaran". Universitas Padjadjaran. 2016-05-11. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- "Unpad Resmi Ganti Status Jadi PTN BH : Okezone News". news.okezone.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Universitas - Universitas Padjadjaran". Universitas Padjadjaran (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Prasetia, Andhika. "Ini 12 Besar Peringkat Perguruan Tinggi Indonesia 2016". detiknews. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- "Pusat Bahasa Fakultas Ilmu Budaya Unpad - Universitas Padjadjaran". Universitas Padjadjaran (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Rektor Resmikan Masjid Raya Unpad di Jatinangor - Universitas Padjadjaran". Universitas Padjadjaran (in Indonesian). 2014-02-14. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Laboratorium Central - Universitas Padjadjaran". Universitas Padjadjaran (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Peresmian Laboratorium Central Tandai Peresmian 18 Gedung Sumber Dana IDB di Unpad - Universitas Padjadjaran". Universitas Padjadjaran (in Indonesian). 2016-12-02. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "FMIPA Unpad -". FMIPA Unpad. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Padjajaran University expands business units". September 8, 2011.