Padthaway wine region
|Type||Australian Geographical Indication|
|Years of wine industry||established 1964|
|Part of||Limestone Coast zone|
|Precipitation (annual average)||195 millimetres (7.7 in) |
|Total area||345 square kilometres (133 sq mi)|
|Size of planted vineyards||4,052 hectares (10,010 acres)|
|No. of vineyards||31 (2008)|
|Grapes produced||27,685 tonnes (27,248 long tons; 30,517 short tons)|
|Varietals produced||Shiraz, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Riesling|
|No. of wineries||8 (2014)|
|Comments||climate data: 2011, production: 2014|
Padthaway wine region is a wine zone region located in the south east of South Australia immediately adjoining a section of the Riddoch Highway including the town of Padthaway. The region received appellation as an Australian Geographical Indication (AGI) in 1999.
Extent and appellation
The Padthaway wine region extends from Naracoorte in a north westerly direction along the Riddoch Highway passing through Padthaway for a distance of about 62 kilometres (39 mi) and ceasing when the Riddoch Highway turns north towards Bordertown. The term ‘Padthaway’ was registered as an AGI on 29 November 1999.
Grapes and wine
As of 2014, the most common plantings in the Padthaway wine region within a total planted area of 4,052 hectares (10,010 acres) was reported as being Shiraz ( 30.2%) followed by Chardonnay ( 24.4%), Cabernet Sauvignon ( 22.1%) and Riesling ( 4.7%). Alternatively, red wine varietals account for 62.4%of plantings while white wines varietals account for 37.6%of plantings. The total 2014 vintage is reported as consisting of 14,928 tonnes (14,692 long tons; 16,455 short tons) of crushed red grapes valued at A$12,413,533 and 12,757 tonnes (12,556 long tons; 14,062 short tons) of crushed white grapes valued at A$8,310,841. As of 2014, the region is reported as having eight wineries and as of 2008, it had 31 growers.
Citations and references
- "Padthaway (AGI)". Australian Grape and Wine Authority. 2014. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- Longbottom et al, 2011, page 14
- Longbottom et al, 2011, page 62
- Longbottom et al, 2011, page 50
- "Padthaway wine region". Padthaway Grape Growers Association. 2011. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- PGIBSA, 2014, page 84
- Longbottom et al, 2011, page 15
- PGIBSA, 2014, page 83
- "Wineries in the Padthaway". Wine Companion. 2014. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- Longbottom, Mardi; Maschmedt, David and Pichler, Markus (2011), Unearthing viticulture in the Limestone Coast (PDF), ISBN 978-0-646-56744-0, retrieved 5 November 2014
- Phylloxera and Grape Industry Board of SA (PGIBSA) (2014), Australian regional winegrape crush survey online (PDF), Phylloxera and Grape Industry Board of SA, ISSN 1442-6048, retrieved 6 November 2014
|This South Australia geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This wine region article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|