Pagalpanti (2019 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Anees Bazmee|
|Produced by||Bhushan Kumar|
Kumar Mangat Pathak
|Written by||Anees Bazmee|
|Screenplay by||Rajiv Kaul|
|Story by||Anees Bazmee|
Yo Yo Honey Singh
|Edited by||Prashant Singh Rathore|
|Distributed by||Panorama Studios (India)|
Anand Pandit Motion Pictures (International)
|Box office||est. ₹38.25 crore|
Pagalpanti (transl. Madness) is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language action comedy film directed by Anees Bazmee and produced by Bhushan Kumar and Krishan Kumar under the banner of T-Series along with Kumar Mangat Pathak and Abhishek Pathak under the banner of Panorama Studios. The film stars an ensemble cast of Anil Kapoor, John Abraham, Ileana D'Cruz, Arshad Warsi, Urvashi Rautela, Pulkit Samrat, Kriti Kharbanda and Saurabh Shukla in the lead roles.
Principal photography of the film commenced on 17 February 2019 in London.  It was theatrically released in India on 22 November 2019. It received generally unfavorable reviews from critics who mainly criticized the writing.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2019)
- Anil Kapoor as Wifi Bhai
- John Abraham as Raj Kishore
- Ileana D'Cruz as Sanjana
- Arshad Warsi as Junky
- Urvashi Rautela as Kavya
- Pulkit Samrat as Chandu
- Kriti Kharbanda as Jhanvi
- Saurabh Shukla as Raja Sahab
- Inaamulhaq as Niraj Modi
- Zakir Hussain as Tulli Seth
- Ashok Samarth as Bulli Seth
- Brijendra Kala as Mamaji
- Mukesh Tiwari as Baba Jani
- Dolly Bindra as Raja Sahab's Wife
Pagalpanti was announced on 21 September 2018. In April 2019, Bazmee shared his experiences of shooting in London. In a statement he said, "Shooting in London was not less then a roller-coaster ride. We had a few difficulties considering the weather conditions there."
The principal photography began in February 2019 with shooting of film in London. The London schedule of the film ended in the last week of April 2019, with this principal photography of the film was completed. John Abraham was injured while filming an action scene for the film in Mumbai.
Marketing and release
Ahead of the release of the film a sequel has been planned. Kumar Mangat, the producer said "It is going to be a big franchise, and our team has started work on the script for part two...." The first teaser poster was released on 18 October 2019. On the same day the character posters of the ensemble cast were released. The trailer of the film was released on 22 October 2019 by T-Series. It has garnered 19 million views since its release.The official second trailer of the film was launched on 12 November 2019.
The release date of the film was advanced and was released on 22 November 2019.
Pagalpanti received generally unfavorable reviews from critics.
Bollywood Hungama gave it 2.5 stars out of 5 and praised the background score, cinematography, production design and costumes but criticized the writing, direction, music and VFX. Ronak Kotecha from the The Times of India gave it 2 stars out of 5, praising the action sequences and cinematography but criticized the writing, placement of songs and the characterization of heroines. Priyanka Sinha Jha from CNN-News18 gave the film 2 stars out of 5 and praised Arshad Warsi and Brijendra Kala but criticized the writing, heroines and clichéd humor. A reviewer from Times Now similarly gave it 2 stars out 5 and praised the performances, a few jokes, cinematography and production values. The criticism was aimed at the length, writing and editing.
Vinamra Mathur from Mid Day gave the film 1.5 stars out of 5 and found it unintentionally funny. Suparno Sarkar from International Business Times similarly gave it 1.5 stars out of 5 and felt a few scenes were funny, further praising Anil Kapoor and Saurabh Shukla's partnership. However, the reviewer criticized the screenplay, lack of good comedy and punchlines, and the forced songs. Sukanya Verma from Rediff.com gave it 1 star out of 5 and criticized the humor, VFX, labelled the script as a "stuff of pre-schooler dreams" and found the performances to be "better suited for a school play." Jyoti Sharma Bawa from Hindustan Times criticized the humor, writing, dialogues, music, heroines and forced patriotism.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||21 November 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The song "Tum Par Hum Hai Aatke" from the film Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya which was originally composed by Himesh Reshammiya, lyrics by Sudhakar Sharma and sung by Kumar Sanu and Kavita Krishnamurthy, was recreated by Tanishk Bagchi.
The song "Bimar Dil" from the film ChaalBaaz which was originally composed by Laxmikant–Pyarelal, lyrics by Anand Bakshi and sung by Mohammed Aziz and Kavita Krishnamurthy, was recreated by Tanishk Bagchi.
|1.||"Tum Par Hum Hai Atke"||Shabbir Ahmed||Tanishk Bagchi||Mika Singh, Neha Kakkar||2:58|
|2.||"Walla Walla"||Arafat Mehmood||Nayeem-Shabir||Nakash Aziz, Neeti Mohan, Nayeem Shah||3:46|
|3.||"Thumka"||Yo Yo Honey Singh||Yo Yo Honey Singh||Yo Yo Honey Singh||2:50|
|4.||"Bimar Dil"||Shabbir Ahmed||Tanishk Bagchi||Jubin Nautiyal, Asees Kaur||5:00|
|5.||"Pagalpanti (Title Track)"||Danish Sabri||Sajid-Wajid||Sajid Khan, Ipsitaa, Rahul Kothari||3:10|
Pagalpanti's opening day domestic collection was ₹4.75 crore. On the second day, the film collected ₹6.50 crore. On the third day, the film collected ₹8.25 crore, taking total openning weekend collection to ₹19.50 crore.
- "Anand Pandit Motion Pictures join hands with Panorama Studios International... Acquire #India distribution rights of #Pagalpanti... 22 Nov 2019 release". Taran Adarsh. 7 November 2019. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- "John Abraham pushes release date of Pagalpanti to make way for Nikhil Advani's Marjaavaan". Mumbai Mirror. 5 September 2019. Retrieved 7 September 2019.
- "Pagalpanti (2019)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 29 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti': John Abraham and Ileana D'cruz's comedy entertainer to release on this date". The Times of India. 27 May 2019. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Anil Kapoor and John Abraham to feature in Anees Bazmee's multi-starrer Pagalpanti". Indian Express. 5 February 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Pagalpanti Cast & Crew". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "JOHN ABRAHAM, ANIL KAPOOR, ILEANA D'CRUZ, KRITI KHARBANDA TO START SHOOTING FOR PAGALPANTI IN LONDON". Mumbai Mirror India Times. 13 February 2019. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- Kulkarni, Onkar (17 October 2019). "How Mubarakan inspired Pagalpanti's team to shoot the film in London - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- Kulkarni, Onkar (15 October 2019). "Anees Bazmee: The cast of Pagalpanti is already telling me to begin the film's sequel - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- Chaudhury, Shreshtha (15 September 2019). "Pagalpanti Release Date: John Abraham-starrer's release recheduled". Republic World. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- "Pagalpanti movie review and rating: Critics' response out". International Business Times. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "संजय और अनिल में 'पागलपंती' की रेस, देखते हैं किसमें है कितना दम". Amar Ujala (in Hindi). 5 September 2018.
- "Anees Bazmee's 'Pagalpanti' experience in London". Zee News. 4 April 2019.
- "Urvashi Rautela wraps up her next comedy 'Pagalpanti' in London". Times of India. 28 April 2019. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Anil Kapoor on working with Arshad Warsi: He is an integral part of our Pagalpanti". India Today. 7 March 2019.
- "John Abraham injured on the sets of 'Pagalpanti', won't shoot for next few weeks". Times of India. 24 May 2019. Retrieved 27 May 2019.
- "Anil Kapoor, John Abraham's Pagalpanti gets a sequel ahead of 22 November release". First Post. 24 April 2019. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Women's Day Special - John Abraham, Ileana D'Cruz starrer Pagalpanti has a female dominated crew and Anees Bazmee is all PRAISES for them!". Bollywood Hungama. 8 March 2019. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- "Anees Bazmeereveals interesting details about John Abraham's character in Pagalpanti". Bollywood Hungama. 12 March 2019. Retrieved 12 March 2019.
- "Teaser poster of John Abraham and Anil Kapoor starrer 'Pagalpanti' released, Check it out here". Indian Wire. 18 October 2019.
- "From John Abraham to Ileana D'cruz; Here are the character posters of team 'Pagalpanti' - Times of India". The Times of India. 18 October 2019.
- "Pagalpanti character posters: John Abraham, Ileana D'Cruz, Anil Kapoor all set for a laugh riot". mid-day. 18 October 2019.
- Pagalpanti Trailer - Anil, John, Ileana, Arshad, Urvashi, Pulkit, Kriti | Anees | Releasing 22 Nov. T-Series. YouTube. 22 October 2019.
- "Pagalpanti Trailer 2 - Anil, John, Ileana, Arshad, Urvashi, Pulkit, Kriti - Anees - Releasing 22 Nov". YouTube. T-Series. 12 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti Movie Review". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti Movie Review : A hotchpotch of bumbling characters". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti Movie Review: Anees Bazmee's Madcap Comedy Misses the Mark". CNN-News18. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti Movie Review: John Abraham, Anil Kapoor and Arshad Warsi film is bland, loud but a bit funny". Times Now. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti Movie Review: There Are Precisely Three Laughs In This Comedy, And Two Of Them Are Unintentional". Mid Day. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti movie review: Only thing correct about the film is its title". International Business Times. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti review". Rediff.com. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti movie review: The joke is on John Abraham's film". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)". iTunes.
- "JOHN ABRAHAM, ILEANA D'ÇRUZ REVIVING SALMAN KHAN, KAJOL'S CHARTBUSTER 'TUMPAR HUM HAIN ATKE' FROM PYAR KIYA TOH DARNA KYA". Mumbai Mirror. 24 October 2019. Retrieved 1 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti song Tum Par Hum Hai Atke: John Abraham, Ileana D'Cruz recreate Salman Khan-Kajol's hit 21-year-old number". Hindustan Times. 24 October 2019. Retrieved 1 November 2019.
- "Pagalpanti song Tum Par Hum Hai Atke: John Abraham, Illeana D'cruz groove to rehash of Salman-Kajol's 1998 track". Firstpost.com. 24 October 2019. Retrieved 1 November 2019.
- "Urvashi Rautela turns into a bewitching ghost in this remake of Sridevi's hit song". Mumbai Mirror. 8 November 2019. Retrieved 8 November 2019.