Painesville Township, Lake County, Ohio
|Painesville Township, Lake County, Ohio|
The Casement House, a historic site in the township
Location of Painesville Township in Lake County
|• Total||177.7 sq mi (460.2 km2)|
|• Land||17.0 sq mi (44.1 km2)|
|• Water||160.6 sq mi (416.1 km2)|
|Elevation||705 ft (215 m)|
|• Density||1,089.1/sq mi (420.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086429|
Name and history
It is the only Painesville Township statewide.
Several municipalities are located in Painesville Township:
- The city of Painesville, in the center
- The village of Fairport Harbor, in the northwest along the lakeshore
- The village of Grand River, in the northwest
- The unincorporated community of Painesville-on-the-Lake, in the north center
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Transportation and economy
Major transportation routes in the township are U.S. Route 20 and State Routes 2, 84 and Ohio State Route 44. Painesville Township is located just north of Interstate 90 and is easily accessed via Route 44. Two major railroads, CSX, as well as Norfolk Southern pass through the township and serve some of the township's industries. Additionally Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited passes through on the CSX line. However, these trains do not stop in the township. The nearest Amtrak station is in Cleveland.
Painesville Township is home to the Riverside Local School District, formerly the Painesville Township Local Schools. Its schools include Riverside High School, John R. Williams Junior High School, Lamuth Middle School and six elementary schools. Painesville city and Fairport Harbor operate their own school districts, while Grand River village, Leroy and Concord township students attend Riverside's schools.
Painesville Township is home to the Lake County Fair, which is held every August. Events such as harness racing, tractor pulling competitions as well as concerts performed by big name country music bands take place at the fair.
Nearly 80% of Headlands Beach State Park is located in Painesville Township, the remainder lies in the neighboring community of Mentor. The beach is the longest natural beach in Ohio and is arguably the best beach in Ohio. The US Coast Guard has a base in the township located just east of Headlands Beach. 
The Quail Hollow Resort, located in neighboring Concord Township, envelopes 700 acres and offers two championships rated golf courses.  The resort is within easy driving distance to Ohio's Wine Country.
- Dan O'Shannon - Emmy and Golden Globe award winning and Academy Award nominated Writer and Producer grew up in the Township and graduated from Riverside High School
- Len Pettigrew - Former Linebacker for the NFL Philadelphia Eagles grew up in the Township and graduated from Riverside High School
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lake County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "Zoning Map". Township of Painesville. Retrieved 2013-08-06.