Paint Branch High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Paint Branch High School|
|14121 Old Columbia Pike
Burtonsville, Maryland 20866
|Motto||Excellence Through Effort|
|School district||Montgomery County Public Schools|
|Principal||Myriam A. Yarbrough|
Dark Maroon,Vegas Gold
It is named after the Paint Branch creek. The school was founded in 1969 and is part of the Montgomery County Public Schools System. The school lies on Old Columbia Pike, between Briggs Chaney and Greencastle Road.
Paint Branch, once a rural high school now deep in the heart of suburban sprawl, is a member of the Northeast Consortium schools in [[Montgomery County, Maryland|Montgomery County. As a member of the Consortium, the school's signature program focuses on Science and Media education. The panther is the school's mascot, and the school song is 'Hail to the Panthers', which is sung to the tune of 'Hail to the Redskins'. The school's colors are burgundy and gold, also the same as the Washington Redskins.
- Mark Nejako - 1969-1979
- Steve Dickoff - 1979-1988
- Edward Shirley - 1988-1992
- Rebecca Newman - 1992-1995
- Fred Lowenbach - 1995-2001
- Jeanette Dixon - 2001-2013
- Myriam A. Yarbrough - 2013–present
The Panthers have fielded a total of 21 state championship athletic teams, including Girls Basketball (1979, 1980, 2001, 2008), Baseball (1976, 1979, 1990, 1991), Boys' Basketball (1977, 2000), Wrestling (1978, 2001), Boys' Cross-Country (1973, 1974), Boys' Track and Field (Indoor 2003, Outdoor 2003), Girls' Track and Field (Indoor 2009, Outdoor 1989), Field Hockey (2009), Softball (1987), and Football (1975). Paint Branch is part of the 4A division in the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA).
- Darnell Dockett - NFL football player
- Kimmy Gatewood - actress, writer and singer
- Brian Heidik - winner of Survivor: Thailand
- Tracy Jackson - NBA basketball player
- Fredricka Whitfield - news anchor for CNN
- Eun Yang - television news anchor of WRC-TV
- Awarded the "Blue Ribbon Award" in 2000
- Awarded a "New American High School Award" from the United States Department of Education in 2000
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A new building is now established in the location that the woods next to the football field once occupied. As the only school at that time without a new building, Paint Branch High School was guaranteed a new building when it was asked to enter the Northeast Consortium back in 1998. The new building was scheduled to be completed by the end of 2010, but budget shortfalls pushed that date until April 2012, resulting in the class of 2013 being the first class to graduate from the new building. Hess Construction Co. was awarded the contract to build the new school. Hess Construction Co. is also the builder of the Kenmore Middle School in Arlington County, Virginia. Staff moved into the new building June 18, 2012.
The old Paint Branch building, originally scheduled to be torn down in the summer of 2012 was torn down in October 2012. Sports fields were completed by the 2013-2014 school year.
- Home. Paint Branch High School. Retrieved on January 31, 2018. "14121 Old Columbia Pike Burtonsville, MD 20866"
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Fairland CDP, MD." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 31, 2018.
- Rose, Kara (30 May 2013). "Paint Branch High principal leaves behind a legacy". Washington Post – via HighBeam Research (subscription required). Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- [dead link]
- Jackson, Christine (2017-07-11). "GLOW's Kimmy Gatewood Talks Comedy, Big Hair, and the Joys of Wrestling". Washingtonian. Retrieved 2017-07-16.
- "Paint Branch High School is Designated a National Blue Ribbon School and a New American High School". Montgomery County Public Schools. 22 May 2000. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Sara K. Taylor (26 May 2000). "Red-letter day for Paint Branch: School wins national award". Gazette.Net. The Gazette. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Hon. Constance A. Morella (16 October 2000). "CONGRATULATING PAINT BRANCH HIGH SCHOOL ON BEING DESIGNATED A NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SCHOOL OF EXCELLENCE AND A NEW AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL". Congressional Record Online. House Of Representatives, Washington, DC: Government Printing Office. Retrieved 6 December 2014.