Paint Creek (Scioto River tributary)
Paint Creek at Greenfield
|- location||5 mi (8.0 km) southwest of London|
|- elevation||1,100 ft (340 m)|
|- location||Scioto River near Chillicothe|
|- elevation||~ 590 ft (180 m)|
|Length||94.7 mi (152.4 km)|
|Basin size||1,143 sq mi (2,960 km2)|
Paint Creek is a tributary of the Scioto River, 94.7 mi (152.5 km) long, in south-central Ohio in the United States. Via the Scioto and Ohio Rivers, it is part of the watershed of the Mississippi River. It drains an area of 1,143 mi² (2960 km²).
Paint Creek rises in southwestern Madison County and flows initially south-southeastwardly through Fayette County and along the boundaries of Highland and Ross Counties, past the towns of Washington Court House and Greenfield. Downstream of Greenfield, a dam causes the stream to form Paint Creek Lake, which is the site of Paint Creek State Park. Below the dam, Paint Creek flows eastwardly through Ross County, past Bainbridge and just to the south of Chillicothe to its confluence with the Scioto River.
Principal tributaries include of Paint Creek include:
- Rattlesnake Creek flows to Paint Creek Lake.
- North Fork Paint Creek, 46.6 mi (75 km) long, rises in southeastern Madison County and flows generally southeastwardly through Fayette and Ross Counties, past Frankfort, to its confluence with Paint Creek near Chillicothe. The North Fork drains an area of 236 mi² (611 km²).
- Olomon Sepung
- Olomoni Siipunk
- Chillicotha Creek
- Pain Creek
- Paint River
- Pait Creek
- Necunsia Skeintat - On Lewis Evans’ A General Map of the Middle British Colonies in America, published in 1755.
- U.S. Geological Survey. Florence quadrangle, Ohio. 1:24,000. 7.5 Minute Series. Washington D.C.: USGS, 1991.
- U.S. Geological Survey. Chillicothe East quadrangle, Ohio. 1:24,000. 7.5 Minute Series. Washington D.C.: USGS, 1992.
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources. A Guide to Ohio Streams. Chapter 10: Major Ohio Watersheds (pdf)
- Columbia Gazetteer of North America entry
- *DeLorme (1991). Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. ISBN 0-89933-233-1
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: North Fork Paint Creek
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Paint Creek
- Evans, Lewis. "A General map of the Middle British Colonies in America". Library of Congress: Lewis Evans.