Painted Churches in the Troödos Region
|Painted Churches in the Troödos Region|
|Name as inscribed on the World Heritage List|
|Criteria||ii, iii, iv|
|UNESCO region||Europe and North America|
|Inscription||1985 (9th Session)|
The Painted Churches in the Troödos Region are a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the Troödos Mountains of central Cyprus. The site comprises ten Byzantine churches and monasteries all richly decorated with Byzantine and post-Byzantine murals:
- Ayios Nikolaos tis Steyis (Saint Nicholas of the Roof) in Kakopetria
- Ayios Ionannis Lampadistis (Saint John Lampadistis) in Kalopanayiotis
- Panagia (Church of Our Lady) Phorbiotissa (or Asinou) in Nikitari
- Panagia tou Arakou in Lagoudhera
- Panagia tou Moutoulla in Moutoullas
- Church of the Archangel Michael in Pedhoulas
- Timios Stavros (Church of the Holy Cross) in Pelendri
- Panagia Podhithou (Church of the Virgin Podithou) in Galata
- Stavros Ayiasmati (Church of the Holy Cross of Ayiasmati) in Platanistasa
- Metamorfosis tou Sotiros (Transfiguration of the Saviour) in Palaichori
Initially nine of these churches were designated by UNESCO in 1985 with the church in Palaichori added to the list in 2001. The Church of Panagia Chrysokourdaliotissa in Kourdali, Spilia, was submitted as a potential further extension in 2002 and currently resides on the Tentative List.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Churches in Cyprus.|
- "Painted Churches in the Troödos Region". World Heritage List. UNESCO. Retrieved 24 November 2010.
- "Church of Panayia Chrysokourdaliotissa, Kourdali (extension to "Painted Churches in the Troodos Region")". UNESCO. Retrieved 31 July 2012.