Painted Churches in the Troödos Region
|UNESCO World Heritage Site|
Asinou, Panagia Phorbiotissa church: fresco of Christ Pantocrator (narthex).
|Location||Troodos Mountains, Cyprus|
|Criteria||Cultural: (ii), (iii), (iv)|
|Inscription||1985 (9th Session)|
|Area||3.693 ha (9.13 acres)|
The Painted Churches in the Troödos Region is a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the Troödos Mountains of central Cyprus. The complex comprises ten Byzantine churches and monasteries richly decorated with Byzantine and post-Byzantine murals:
- Church of Agios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) tis Stegis in Kakopetria
- Agios Ioannis (St. John) Lampadistis Monastery in Kalopanagiotis
- Church of Panagia (The Virgin) Phorviotissa (Asinou) in Nikitari
- Church of Panagia (The Virgin) tou Arakou in Lagoudhera
- Church of Panagia (The Virgin) in Moutoullas
- Church of Archangelos Michael (Archangel Michael) in Pedoulas
- Church of Timios Stavros (Holy Cross) in Pelendri
- Church of Panagia (The Virgin) Podithou in Galata
- Church of Stavros (Holy Cross) Agiasmati in Platanistasa
- Church of Agia Sotira (of the Transfiguration of the Savior) tou Soteros in Palaichori Oreinis
Initially nine of these churches were designated by UNESCO in 1985 with the church in Palaichori added to the list in 2001. The Church of Panagia Chrysokourdaliotissa in Kourdali, Spilia, was submitted as a potential further extension in 2002 and currently resides on the Tentative List.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Painted Churches in the Troodos Region.|
- "Painted Churches in the Troödos Region". World Heritage List. UNESCO. Retrieved 24 November 2010.
- "Church of Panagia Chrysokourdaliotissa, Kourdali (extension to "Painted Churches in the Troodos Region")". UNESCO. Retrieved 31 July 2012.