Painter of the Wind
|Painter of the Wind|
Promotional poster for Painter of the Wind
|Also known as||The Painter of Wind
Garden of the Wind
|Genre||Romance, Drama, Historical|
|Based on||Painter of the Wind
by Lee Jung-myung
|Written by||Lee Eun-yeong|
|Directed by||Jang Tae-yoo
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Executive producer(s)||Lee Young-joon|
|Running time||Wednesday & Thursday 21:55 (KST)|
|Original network||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Original release||24 September– 4 December 2008|
|Preceded by||Working Mom|
|Followed by||Star's Lover|
|Revised Romanization||Baram-ui Hwa-won|
Painter of the Wind (Hangul: 바람의 화원; Hanja: 바람의畫員; RR: Baram-ui Hwawon) is a 2008 South Korean historical television series starring Moon Geun-young and Park Shin-yang. Based on the bestselling historical fiction novel by Lee Jung-myung that took artistic license with the premise that perhaps the Joseon painter Shin Yun-bok had really been a woman, it centers on Yun-bok, a talented young painter who disguises herself as a boy to search for her father's murderer. She meets Kim Hong-do, a master painter who guides her into becoming a great artist, and they develop a strong friendship of mentor and disciple.
The drama has won numerous awards, including the Asian TV Series Special Award at the 2010 Shanghai Television Festival, while actress Moon Geun-young received the grand prize at the 2008 SBS Drama Awards, as well as Best TV Actress at the 2009 Baeksang Arts Awards and 2008 Grimae Awards for her role.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Cast
- 3 Original soundtrack
- 4 Episode ratings
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 Continuity errors
- 7 Artistic license
- 8 Featured paintings
- 8.1 외유사생 (A journey to paint from life) E01
- 8.2 장파형 (Before tempest) E02
- 8.3 장파형수 (Hand crushing punishment) E03
- 8.4 군선도 (Painting of the nineteen immortals) E04
- 8.5 단오풍정 (Scenery on Dano day) E05
- 8.6 동제각화 (One topic, two paintings) E06
- 8.7 정풍 (Gathering evidences) E07
- 8.8 어진화사 1 (Imperial Master Painter) E08
- 8.9 어진화사 2 (Imperial Master Painter) E09
- 8.10 어진화사 3 (Imperial Master Painter) E10
- 8.11 어진화사 4 (Imperial Master Painter) E11
- 8.12 봉심 (Bongsim Evaluation) E12
- 8.13 생과 사 (Life and Death) E13
- 8.14 잃어버린 예진 (Searching for the Lost Yejin) E14
- 8.15 다섯개의 초상 (Portraits of the Five Bamboos) E15
- 8.16 얼굴없는 초상 (The Faceless Portrait) E16
- 8.17 십년전 여인 (The Girl from Ten Years Before) E17
- 8.18 원수 (Enemies) E18
- 8.19 쟁투 (Fight) E19
- 8.20 미인도 (Portrait of a Beauty) E20
- 9 References
- 10 External links
In 1766, Kang Su-hang, a painter and senior member of Dohwaseo, the Academy of Painting, was found killed after being secretly commissioned by the son of the crown prince who would later become King Jeongjo (1752-1800, the 22nd King of the Joseon Dynasty). The commission was to paint a portrait of the crown prince. Seo Jing, another member of Dohwaseo, was found dead while investigating the death of Kang Su-hang. In addition, Seo Jing's wife was murdered and his daughter went missing. Ten years later, Kim Hong-do, a senior member of Dohwaseo, discovers Shin Yun-bok, a new student. Hong-do discovers great talent in Yun-bok and tries to protect the student from conspiracies that surround him. King Jeongjo also discovers Yun-bok's enormous talent. Kim Hong-do and Shin Yun-bok serve as the eyes of the king, depicting the true reality of the common people. However, powerful palace officials conspire to get rid of the two painters, and soon afterwards, they are kicked out of Dohwaseo. Then, the king secretly orders the pair to find the portrait of his father painted by Kang Su-hang ten years prior. Kim Hong-do and Shin Yun-bok are successful in recovering the portrait, overcoming hurdles and dangerous traps set up by enemies. The recovery of the painting also helps reveal the secret behind the death of Seo Jing, who is actually Shin Yun-bok's father. In the process, Kim Hong-do realizes that he is truly in love with Shin Yun-bok. However, he tries to leave him because he knows that the affair would be an impossible one. But to everyone's surprise, the truth is revealed. Shin Yun-bok is actually a woman. She had disguised herself as a man to enter Dohwaseo, an institution limited only to males, in order to uncover the truth about her father's death.
- Moon Geun-young as Shin Yun-bok
- Kim Yoo-jung as young Yun-bok
- Park Shin-yang as Kim Hong-do
- Ryu Seung-ryong as Kim Jo-nyun
- Bae Soo-bin as King Jeongjo
- Moon Chae-won as Jung-hyang, a gisaeng
- Lee Joon as Shin Young-bok
- Lee Byung-joon as young Young-bok
- Park Hyuk-kwon as Lee In-moon, Hong-do's friend
- Im Ji-eun as Queen Jeongsun
- Jung In-gi as Hong Guk-yeong
- Kim Eung-soo as Jang Byuk-soo
- Ahn Suk-hwan as Shin Han-yeong, Yun-bok's adoptive father
- Park Jin-woo as Jang Hyo-won
- Han Jung-soo as Seo Jing
- Lee Mi-young as Mok Kye-wol
- Yoon Joo-sang as Kang Su-hang
- Lee Kyung-hwa as Myeong, Seo Jing's wife
- Han Yeo-woon as Jung-sook, In-moon's sister
- Yoon Bong-gil
- Ko Gyoo-pil as hwawon
- Lee Sang-hee as hwawon
- Son Hwa-ryeong as gisaeng
- Min Joon-hyun as eunuch
- Ha Dae-ro as cadet
- Kim Won-seok
- Jang Moon-seok as Dol-soi
- Choi Gwi-hwa
- Jo Dong-hee
- Kim Bo-mi as Mak-nyun, Jung-hyang's maid
- Jeon Jin-gi
- Im Ho as Lee Myung-ki
- Yoo Yun-ji
- Jeong Yu-mi
- Choi Soo-han
- Tae Hwang
|1.||"Song of the Wind (바람의 노래)"||Jo Sung-mo|
|2.||"Line of Sight (눈 길)"||Young Ji|
|4.||"Yearning (Impossible Dream...) (그리움 [이루어질 수 없는...])"||Jo Sung-mo|
|5.||"Still Thinking of You (그리고 그리며)"||Kim Hyuna|
|6.||"Yearning (Love Theme) (그리움 [Love Theme])"|
|8.||"The Painter of the Wind (Title Theme) (바람의 화원 [Title Theme])"|
|9.||"Ink (Tension Theme) (墨 (먹) [Tension Theme])"|
|10.||"The Secret Painting (비밀의 그림)"|
|11.||"Laughing and Crying (울다가 웃다가)"|
|12.||"Aged Paulownia Hides Its Melody (동천련로 항장곡)"|
|13.||"Street Market Scenes (저잣거리 풍경)"|
|14.||"Student Wears Blue in the Morning (생도청의 아침)"|
|15.||"Moonlight Lovers (月下情人 [월하정인])"|
|16.||"Long Waves (장 파 형)"|
|17.||"Mountain Tiger (묘향산의 호랑이)"|
|18.||"The Aged Paulownia Hides Its Melody (Freestyle Ver.) (동천련로 항장곡 [산조 Ver.])"|
|19.||"Dancing Child (舞童 [무 동])"|
|20.||"Student Wears Blue in the Morning (Korean Classical Ver.) 생도청의 아침 [Korean Classical Ver.]"|
|21.||"Competition of the Workmen (필선의 대결)"|
|22.||"Youth Enjoying Nature (年少踏靑 [연소답청])"|
|2008-09-24||1||11.6% (8th)||11.7% (8th)|
|2008-09-25||2||12.6% (9th)||12.8% (9th)|
|2008-10-01||3||10.7% (11th)||10.6% (13th)|
|2008-10-02||4||11.7% (11th)||11.4% (10th)|
|2008-10-08||5||12.7% (9th)||12.7% (8th)|
|2008-10-09||6||12.1% (9th)||11.7% (10th)|
|2008-10-15||Special||12.2% (8th)||12.6% (7th)|
|2008-10-16||Special||9.6% (15th)||10.0% (11th)|
|2008-10-22||7||12.6% (8th)||12.6% (8th)|
|2008-10-23||8||16.1% (5th)||15.8% (5th)|
|2008-10-29||9||15.1% (5th)||15.0% (5th)|
|2008-10-30||10||15.0% (6th)||15.2% (4th)|
|2008-11-05||11||12.5% (8th)||12.0% (7th)|
|2008-11-06||12||15.0% (8th)||15.0% (7th)|
|2008-11-12||13||11.9% (9th)||11.5% (10th)|
|2008-11-13||14||14.4% (8th)||14.1% (8th)|
|2008-11-19||15||12.9% (11th)||12.8% (10th)|
|2008-11-20||16||13.0% (10th)||12.1% (12th)|
|2008-11-26||17||13.7% (9th)||13.8% (8th)|
|2008-11-27||18||13.4% (10th)||12.7% (10th)|
|2008-12-03||19||12.7% (11th)||13.0% (9th)|
|2008-12-04||20||14.7% (9th)||15.2% (8th)|
Source: TNS Media Korea
Awards and nominations
||Best Achievement for a Production,
|Best Actress||Moon Geun-young||Won|
|Best Lighting Director||Song Wook||Won|
||Best New Actress (TV)||Moon Chae-won||Won|
||Grand Prize/Daesang||Moon Geun-young||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor||Park Shin-yang||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Moon Geun-young||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Special||Ryu Seung-ryong||Nominated|
|Top 10 Stars||Moon Geun-young||Won|
|New Star Award||Moon Chae-won||Won|
|Best Young Actress||Kim Yoo-jung||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Moon Geun-young and Moon Chae-won||Won|
||Best Drama||Painter of the Wind||Nominated|
|Best Actress (TV)||Moon Geun-young||Won|
|Best New Actress (TV)||Moon Chae-won||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actress (TV)||Moon Geun-young||Nominated|
||Best Mini-series||Painter of the Wind||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Moon Geun-young||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actress||Moon Geun-young||Won|
||Silver Remi Award||Painter of the Wind||Won|
||Asian TV Series Special Award||Painter of the Wind||Won|
- In E09 Sang-gung uses the pen name Hyewon... before this pen name has been given (E13).
- In E15 56:28, the bad guy is plainly played by the same actor as the mysterious man (Baek Dong-soo).
- Problems in sexagesimal cycle. When "now" is 1777 = jeong-yu 정유, then "ten years before" is 1766 = byeong-sul 병술. And not byeong-jin 병진. Both the Korean soundtrack ("everywhere") and the Chinese characters in the "secret library" (E14, 09:27) are describing 丙辰年, i.e. 1796.
The events described by the twenty episodes are dated 1777 (=now) with flashbacks from 1766 (=ten years before). This crosscutting style between two time periods required some artistic license, with the meager historical facts known about the painters involved. Among the distortions are:
- Painter Yi Myeong-gi was only known by 1791-1796. Painting of Seo Jik-su (E08) was drawn in 1796.
- Portrait of Chae Jegong (E09) was drawn in 1792 by Yi Myeong-gi, not in 1777 by Kim Hong-do.
- Gang Se-hwang lived from 1713-1791, and therefore was not murdered in 1766.
- Portrait of King Taejo, Taejo Eojin, was painted in 1872.
- Dasan Jeong Yak-yong lived 1762-1836. In 1766, he hadn't drawn any machine sketches.
- Nam Gye-u lived 1811-88. His Butterflies were not painted circa 1777.
Such artistic license allowed for the screenplay to have narrative cohesion, and has been largely acknowledged by the writer. Each episode of the series begins with a foreword, stating: "The contents of this drama may not match some of the historical facts" (on the left of the text is the stylized title).
Several academics have criticized the drama due to these historical distortions. Despite that, it resulted in an increased interest for artistic topics among the general public. An exhibit at Gansong Art Museum in Seongbuk-dong attracted 200,000 visitors when it opened on October 12, 2008, who bought more than 2,000 prints of the art on display.
More than forty paintings were featured in the series, providing a possible context for each of them. For the paintings from the Hyewon pungsokdo, this exercise was all the more striking since the present-day titles were not given by the painter himself, but were attributed more than a century later.
외유사생 (A journey to paint from life) E01
장파형 (Before tempest) E02
장파형수 (Hand crushing punishment) E03
군선도 (Painting of the nineteen immortals) E04
단오풍정 (Scenery on Dano day) E05
동제각화 (One topic, two paintings) E06
정풍 (Gathering evidences) E07
어진화사 1 (Imperial Master Painter) E08
어진화사 2 (Imperial Master Painter) E09
어진화사 3 (Imperial Master Painter) E10
어진화사 4 (Imperial Master Painter) E11
봉심 (Bongsim Evaluation) E12
생과 사 (Life and Death) E13
잃어버린 예진 (Searching for the Lost Yejin) E14
다섯개의 초상 (Portraits of the Five Bamboos) E15
얼굴없는 초상 (The Faceless Portrait) E16
십년전 여인 (The Girl from Ten Years Before) E17
원수 (Enemies) E18
쟁투 (Fight) E19
미인도 (Portrait of a Beauty) E20
- Chung, Ah-young (9 October 2008). "Mysterious Artist Resurfaces on Modern Culture Scene". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Eun-joo (31 October 2008). "Fact and fiction meld in life of mysterious Joseon painter". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Yang, Sung-hee (25 October 2008). "Erotic icon". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kang Hye-ran, Lee Eun-joo (10 September 2008). "Upcoming drama paints lives of two Joseon masters". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Han, Sang-hee (23 September 2008). "Korea's Sweetheart Moon Becomes Mysterious Artist". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (11 January 2008). "Moon Geun-young Returns to TV Screen". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hong, Lucia (15 June 2010). "The Painter of Wind wins award at TV festival in Shanghai". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Garcia, Cathy Rose A. (14 October 2008). "Actress Breaks Nose, Falls Into Well". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kang, Myoung-seok (6 May 2010). "10LINE: Actress Moon Geun-young". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Han, Sang-hee (11 December 2008). "Park Banned From Major Production Companies Works". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Painter of the Wind – Summary 9". Dramatomy. 31 October 2008. Retrieved 2013-04-30.
- "Painter of the Wind – Summary 13". Dramatomy. 13 November 2008. Retrieved 2013-04-30.
- Painter of the Wind official SBS website (Korean)
- Painter of the Wind at HanCinema
- Painter of the Wind at the Internet Movie Database
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Painter of the Wind.|