Paiting! (Hangul: 파이팅, pronounced [pʰaitʰiŋ]) or Hwaiting! (Hangul: 화이팅, pronounced [ɸwaitʰiŋ]) is a Korean word of support or encouragement. It is frequently used in sports or whenever a challenge such as a difficult test or unpleasant assignment is met. It derives from a Konglish misuse of the English word "Fighting!"
In English, "fighting" is an adjective (specifically, a present participle) whereas cheers and exclamations of support usually take the form of imperative verbs. Paiting!’s Japanese equivalent, for example, is the more proper Faito! (ファイト). For that reason, paiting! is often translated in English as "Come on!" or "Let's go!" Daehan Minguk Paiting! ("대한민국 파이팅!") might be glossed as "Go, Korea!" English does sometimes use adjectives and nouns as words of support ("Good!" "Good job!") but the original meaning of fighting simply implies some conflict exists; it doesn't imply either side will be victorious and offers no support. Within Korean, paiting! serves as an encouragement to release one's inhibitions and draw on inner power.
Paiting! is often accompanied by the expression Aja aja! (Hangul: 아자 아자), which has a similar meaning. The pronunciation Hwaiting, despite often being used colloquially, is not included in important Korean dictionaries such as Standard Korean Language Dictionary.
In addition to Faito!, terms used similarly in East Asia are the Japanese Ganbatte! (頑張って) and Mandarin Jiayou! (加油, lit. "add oil!"). The growing importance of Korean pop culture means that "Fighting!" is now sometimes used in Engrish and Chinglish as well to translate these native phrases.
- 파이팅 (in Korean). Standard Korean Language Dictionary. Retrieved December 27, 2010.
- 성대석(Seong, Dae-seok) (2010-07-12). '대한민국 파이팅' 유감 (in Korean). The Chosun Ilbo. Retrieved December 27, 2010.
- 박용찬 (Park Yong-chan) (2004-10-06). "'파이팅'(fighting)의 다듬은 말 '아자'" (in Korean). The Korea Defence Daily. Retrieved December 27, 2010.
- 서정보(Seo, Jeong-bo) (2004-12-30). 올 최고 유행어는 ‘그런거야’ (in Korean). Dong-a Ilbo. Retrieved December 27, 2010.
‘아자, 아자, 파이팅’ KBS2 드라마 ‘풀하우스’에서 지은(송혜교)이 애교있게 외쳤던 말.
- 조남호 (Cho Nam-ho) (2006-12-04). 파이팅 (in Korean). The Korea Defence Daily. Retrieved December 27, 2010.