Lone Pine Paiute-Shoshone Tribe
The Paiute-Shoshone Indians of the Lone Pine Community of the Lone Pine Reservation is a federally recognized tribe of Mono and Timbisha Native American Indians near Lone Pine in Inyo County, California. They are related to the Owens Valley Paiute.
The Lone Pine Paiute-Shoshones traditionally spoke two different languages. The Mono ("Paiutes") spoke the Mono language and the Timbisha ("Shoshones") spoke the Timbisha language, both of which were members of the Numic subgroup of the Uto-Aztecan language family.
Lone Pine Reservation
The Paiute-Shoshone Indians of the Lone Pine Community is a federal recognized tribe and reside on the reservation, the Lone Pine Indian Reservation in Inyo County, in central-eastern California, in the Owens River Valley on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The reservation is 237 acres (0.96 km2) large. Approximately 350 of the 1400 enrolled tribal members live on the reservation. The reservation was established on April 20, 1939 through a land exchange negotiated between the Department of the Interior and the City of Los Angeles. In 1990-1, 168 out of 296 enrolled members lived on reservation. As of the 2010 Census the population was 212.
The tribe is governed by a five-person tribal council, who are as follows:
- Melvin R. Joseph - Chairperson
- Mary Wuester - Vice chairperson
- Stacey Mike - Secretary
- Janet Hansen - Treasurer
- Beverly Newell - Trustee
- California Indians and Their Reservations. San Diego State University Library and Information Access. 2009 (retrieved 8 Dec 2009)
- Wick R. Miller. "Numic Languages," Handbook of North American Indians, Volume 11, Great Basin. Ed. Warren L. d'Azevedo. (1986. Smithsonian). Pages 98-106.
- "Home Page." Long Pine Paiute-Shoshone Reservation. (retrieved 8 Dec 2009)
- Pritzker, 229
- Raglin, Justin. "Contact Us." Long Pine Paiute-Shoshone Reservation. 13 May 2010. Retrieved 1 Aug 2012.
- Mono traditional narratives
- Mono language (California)
- Timbisha language
- Population of Native California
- Population history of American indigenous peoples
- Native Americans in the United States
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1.
- Lone Pine Paiute-Shoshone Reservation, official site