|Industry||Role-playing games, board games, science fiction, fantasy|
|Lisa Stevens, Erik Mona, James Jacobs, F. Wesley Schneider, James L. Sutter, Jason Bulmahn|
|Products||Pathfinder, Planet Stories|
Paizo Publishing is an American publishing company in Redmond, Washington that specializes in game aids and adventures for "the world's oldest fantasy roleplaying game" (Dungeons & Dragons) and its flagship spin-off game and setting, Pathfinder. Paizo also runs an online retail store selling role-playing games, gaming aids, board games, comic books, toys, clothing and other products, and has an Internet forum community.
The CEO of Paizo is Lisa Stevens. The company's name is derived from the Greek word παίζω paizō, which means 'I play' or 'to play'.
In 2014, the company changed its name to Paizo Inc.
D&D and Pathfinder
Paizo formerly produced Dragon and Dungeon magazines, both published under license from Wizards of the Coast. Publisher Erik Mona is former Editor-in-Chief of Dragon. The former Editor-in-Chief of Dungeon is James Jacobs, who is now Creative Director overseeing various Pathfinder accessories. In early 2007, it was announced that the license had lapsed and would not be renewed, effective September 2007.
Paizo announced on March 18, 2008, that they would be launching the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Through the new product line, Paizo would modify, update, maintain, and publish the 3.5 System Reference Document (under Wizards of the Coast's Open Gaming License). The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game would also support Paizo's Pathfinder Chronicles campaign setting. In March 2008 Paizo also announced that it was introducing an organized play program called "Pathfinder Society Organized Play." The program was loosely modeled on the RPGAs "Living" campaigns. It releases 28 scenarios each year (two each month, four in July and August) for members to purchase. Scenarios are short adventures meant to be completed within four to five hours.
Paizo's flagship product line, Pathfinder Adventure Path, continues the Adventure Path concept featured in Dungeon. Additional products set in the Pathfinder campaign setting include Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Tales Novels, and Pathfinder Player Companion.
The company started producing a bimonthly magazine called Undefeated in 2003, and in 2004 resurrected the venerable science fiction title Amazing Stories. The two publications were placed on hiatus in 2005, and finally canceled in 2006.
In May 2016, Paizo announced a new sci-fi roleplaying game, Starfinder. The new game is scheduled to release in August 2017.
- Julie Bartel (2005-07-01). Features "The Good, The Bad, and the Edgy" Check
|url=value (help). School Library Journal. p. 35.
- "Paizo Publishing to Cease Publication of Dragon and Dungeon". Wizards of the Coast. 2007-04-19. Retrieved 2007-04-19. (press release)
- Magazine Publishers of America (2003). "Defunct or Suspended Magazines 2007". MPA Website:The Definitive Source of the Magazine Industry. Magazine Publishers of America. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- Paige Wiser (2007-07-01). "Found: A subscription for happiness in life". Chicago Sun Times. p. A18.
- "Paizo Publishing Announces the Pathfinder RPG". Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- Magazine Publishers of America (2003). "New & Noted 2003 Magazines: January-December 2003". MPA Website:The Definitive Source of the Magazine Industry. Magazine Publishers of America. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- Ben Bova (December 26, 2004). "Local action can change the world, one word at a time". Naples Daily News. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- "Amazing Stories Ends Run". Sci Fi Weekly (563). March 27, 2006. Archived from the original on January 1, 2007. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- Edwin Wong (2008-01-19). "Oddball diversions". New Straits Times Local. p. 16.
- John Baichtal (2008-02-05). "Geekdad - "Planet Stories" Revives the Best of Pulp Fiction". Wired News. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "Announcing the Starfinder Roleplaying Game!". Paizo.com.
- Paizo Publishing
- A brief history of game #2: Paizo Publishing: 2002-present, by Shannon Appelcline