Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside
|Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside|
Wii Cover art
Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside (also known as: Pajama Sam 1) is a 1996 children's point-and-click adventure game originally released for PC and Mac. The first game of the Pajama Sam franchise. The game had nearly 3 million units sold and won 50 awards for excellence.
The game was first released on October 4, 1996. On August 19, 2008, the game was re-released as a Wii game by Majesco Entertainment renamed as Pajama Sam: Don't Fear The Dark. On December 12, 2012, this game was ported to iOS by Nimbus Games under the title Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide.
Sam (voiced by Pamela Segall Adlon) can't sleep due to a fear of the dark that fills his room. He is inspired by an issue of his favorite superhero comic, Pajama Man, to take matters into his own hands. Journeying into his closet with his purple Pajama Sam mask (Signature-Edition), All-Metal Pajama Man Lunch Box (Portable Bad Guy Containment Unit) and his Illuminator Mark 5 Jr. Flashlight, Sam tumbles down into the Land of Darkness and is soon stopped by a group of trees acting as customs. After freeing himself, Sam goes on an adventure to reclaim his lost equipment. He befriends a boat named Otto and a mine cart named King, who help Sam throughout his exciting search. After a quest spanning a river, a lava-filled mine, and Darkness's house, Sam goes to confront Darkness. Sam is still afraid at first, but then he finds Darkness is friendly. Darkness tells him that he is just lonely and wants a playmate. After the two of them play together by playing the game "Cheese and Crackers", Sam leaves the closet and finds himself back in his own room. No longer afraid of the dark, Sam quickly falls asleep.
The game is notable for its multiple game scenarios; when the player starts a new game, each of the three items that need to be collected are in one of either two locations (for example, sometimes the lunch box is next to a wishing well, and sometimes it is at the bottom of a river). In addition to this, the player needs to carry out different actions in order to retrieve these items (for example, to get the lunch box, the player must search the area for a magnet in order to pick up the box from the bottom of the river, however if the lunch box is placed next to the well, the player doesn't need the magnet and instead needs a set of boat oars to swim up a current). There are also two different locations for the mask (which is either being worn by a carrot or is hidden beneath a dancing couch in Darkness's house), as well as the flash light. One of the locations for the flashlight involves breaking into a new area of the mine. In other playthroughs, the flashlight is hidden inside a shack near the river.
Pajama Sam generally well-received, getting scores of 90% from GameRankings, 9/10 from IGN, 92% from Coming Soon Magazine, 9.5 out of 10 from Electric Playground, 8/10 from Unikgamer and 4 out of 5 stars from Adventure Gamers.
- "Mistic Software Inc.". Mistic Software Inc. 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Lubsen, Todd. "Todd Lubsen" (PDF). p. 3. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide - Android Apps on Google Play". Google Play. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- "Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside on Steam". steampowered.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Majesco Entertainment - Pajama Sam: Don't Fear The Dark". Majesco Entertainment Company. Retrieved June 6, 2015.
- "Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside Walkthrough - IGN FAQs". IGN. 2004. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "Majesco Entertainment and Interactive Game Group Ship Three Award-Winning Adventure Games for Wii". IGN. 2008-08-26. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside for PC - GameRankings". Game Rankings. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside Review". IGN. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Coming Soon Magazine - Issue 19". Coming Soon Magazine, Inc. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
If you were wondering about a game to buy for your kids, don't look further, you have a winner with Pajama Sam.
- Bonnie James (January 17, 1997). "Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside - Electric Playground". Greedy Productions. Retrieved June 17, 2015.
Once again Humongous has put forth a wacky and engaging adventure that will keep kids (big and little) entertained.
- "Pajama Sam series on Unikgamer". Unikgamer. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside Information, Screenshots & Media". Adventure Gamers. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside at MobyGames
- Pajama Sam In: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside at Humongous Entertainment