Pakistan and Thailand formally began diplomatic relationships on 10 October 1951. Pakistan maintains embassy in Bangkok, whereas Thailand maintains an embassy in Islamabad and a Consulate General in Karachi.
Bilateral trade volume between Pakistan and Thailand in 2008 was around US$750 million. With seafood, textiles and others accounting for some of Pakistani exports to Thailand, and motorcars and chemical products accounting for Thai export to Pakistan.
The investment boards of the two countries have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on sharing investment intelligence, encouraging prospective investors and technical assistance. And a Thai-Pakistan chamber of commerce has also been established to facilitate trade and investment between the two countries.
In 2008, a total of 63,258 Pakistanis visited Thailand for tourism and 2,618 Thais visited Pakistan for tourism. Pakistan is a popular Buddhist religious pilgrims destination, as it is home to several ancient Buddhist heritage. There are around 120 Pakistani students at the Asian Institute of Technology in Bangkok, and several hundred Thai Muslim students in religious studies at Pakistani universities.
Both countries have also shown interest in defense cooperation, and conducted high level meetings. The Pakistan Ordnance Factory (POF) is exporting different types of ammunition to Thailand including artillery ammo, fuses and propellants.
- Royal Thai Consulate General, Karachi, Pakistan. Archived 2012-03-13 at the Wayback Machine
- Embassy of Pakistan in Thailand
- Royal Thai Embassy, Islamabad, Pakistan. Archived 2011-01-04 at the Wayback Machine
- THAILAND’S ECONOMY AND ITS BILATERAL BUSINESS RELATIONS WITH PAKISTAN Archived 2011-05-15 at the Wayback Machine
- Pakistan, Thailand to sign investment MoU[permanent dead link]
- Thai-Pakistan chamber of commerce Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine
- Thailand PM to arrive in Pakistan for two-day visit
- Thai PM aims to 'double bilateral trade volume with Pak to $2 bln by 2018'
- Pakistan reaches out to Buddhists
- ISPR Press Release No PR66/2010-ISPR Dated: February 12, 2010
- "Interview with Asim Iftikhar Ahmad, Ambassador of Pakistan to Thailand". Pakistan Politico.