Pakistan Bar Council
|Type||Regulating authority for lawyers|
Public Body with elected officers
|Affiliations||Ministry of Law and Justice (Pakistan)|
It is the highest elected body of lawyers in Pakistan. It has twenty two members elected from across the country representing each province. The members of the Pakistan Bar Council are elected on the basis of a single transferable vote by the members of the Provincial Bar Councils (i.e., Punjab Bar Council, Sindh Bar Council, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Bar Council, Balochistan Bar Council and Islamabad Bar Council).
The Pakistan Bar Council consists of Chairman Executive Committee, Vice Chairman and Members of Pakistan Bar Council elected by the Members of Provincial Bar Councils. Members serve a term of five years.
The Attorney General for Pakistan acts as ex officio Chairman of Pakistan Bar Council. Role of Attorney General is only to act as returning officer of Pakistan Bar Council elections and to publish the gazette. Attorney General does not exercise power in matters relating to functions of the Bar Council.
- Chairman Executive: The Chairman of the executive committee is Chief Executive of Bar Council and is elected by the members of the Council in each year. Chairman Executive Committee has full authority to decide matters of Bar Council in every aspect.
- Vice Chairman: Vice Chairman is figurehead of Bar Council and is elected by the members of the Council in January each year. Vice Chairman is ex officio Member of each Committee of Bar Council. However, the executive powers of Bar Council rest with Chairman Executive Committee.
- Members of Pakistan Bar Council are elected after 4 years for a duration of 5 years by Elected Representatives of Lawyers of Pakistani Provincial Bar Councils.
- Secretary: A full-time employee of Grade 21, responsible to perform duties enshrined under the Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils Act, 1973. Subject to the provisions of the act and the rules, the secretary shall act under the supervisory control of the Executive Committee of the Pakistan Bar Council.
- Only those advocates recognized by the Bar Council may represent clients in all the branches of the Supreme Court of Pakistan. Pakistan Bar council is ..."responsible for safeguarding rights, interests and privileges of practicing lawyers, regulating their conduct and helping in the administration of justice".
List of Elected Leaders
|Year||Chairman Executive||Vice Chairman|
|1993||Akram Sheikh||Raja Haq Nawaz Khan|
|1994||G. M. Qureshi||Chaudhry Mohammad Ashraf Wahlah|
|1995||Latif Khosa||Abdus Samad Dogar|
|1996||Mushtaq A. Memon||Hamid Khan (lawyer)|
|1997||Arif Hussain Khilji||Javaid A. Khan|
|1998||Muhammad Ashraf Wahlah||Muhammad Yousuf Leghari|
|1999||Muhammad Ashraf Wahlah||Latif Khosa|
|2000||Abdul Hakeem Khan H. Bijarani||Ejaz Ahmed Rana|
|2001||Malik Rab Nawaz Noon||Muhammad Naeem Goreja|
|2002||Abdul Haleem Pirzada||Kadir Bakhsh Bhutto|
|2003||Muhammad Kazim Khan||Abdul Rahim Kazi|
|2004||Qazi Muhammad Jamil||H. Shakeel Ahmed|
|2005||Hamid Khan (lawyer)||Hafiz Abdul Rehman Ansari|
|2006||Syed Qalb-i-Hassan||Ali Ahmed Kurd|
|2007||Qazi Muhammad Anwar||Mirza Aziz Akbar Baig|
|2008||Rasheed A. Razvi||Haji Syed Rehman|
|2009||Muhammad Nasrullah Warraich||Abu’l Inam|
|2010||Haji Syed Rehman||Muhammad Kazim Khan|
|2011||Asrar-ul-Haq Mian||Latif Afridi|
|2012||Burhan Moazzam Malik||Akhtar Hussain|
|2013||Mian Abbas Ahmed||Syed Qalb-i-Hassan|
|2014||Abrar Hasan||Muhammad Ramzan Chaudhry|
|2015||Muhammad Ahsan Bhoon||Azam Nazeer Tarar|
|2016||Abdul Fayaz||Farogh Naseem|
|2017||Hafeez-ur-Rehman Chaudhry||Muhammad Ahsan Bhoon|
|2018||Kamran Murtaza||Ghulam Shabbir Shar Baloch|
|2019||Amjad Shah||Hafiz Idris Sheikh|
|2020||Abid Saqi||Sher Muhammad Khan|
|2021||Khush Dil Khan||Muhammad Fahim Wali|
|2022||Khush Dil Khan||Muhammad Masood Chishti|
- Punjab Bar Council
- Sindh Bar Council
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Bar Council
- Balochistan Bar Council
- Islamabad Bar Council
- Azad Jammu & Kashmir Bar Council
- Supreme Court Bar Association of Pakistan
- Lahore High Court Bar Association
- List of Pakistani Lawyers
- Asrar-ul-Haq Mian
- Nasir Iqbal (18 June 2019). "Pakistan Bar Council official calls for across-the-board accountability". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 9 August 2021.
- Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils Act, 1973 Retrieved 9 August 2021
- Pakistan Bar Council is one of the councils accredited by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan Higher Education Commission of Pakistan website, Retrieved 9 August 2021
- Nasir Iqbal (31 December 2020). "Pakistan Bar Council elections today". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 9 August 2021.