Pakistan Bar Council
|Website||Pakistan Bar Council Official Website|
Pakistan Bar Council was established by the Parliament in 1973 under the Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils Act. It is the highest elected body of lawyers. it has twenty two members elected throughout the country representing each province. The Members of the Pakistan Bar Council are elected on the basis of a single transferable vote by the members of the Provincial Bar Councils (i.e., Punjab Bar Council, Sindh Bar Council, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Bar Council and Balochistan Bar Council).
The Pakistan Bar Council consists of Chairman Executive Committee, Vice Chairman and Members of Pakistan Bar Council elected by the Members of Provincial Bar Councils. Members serve a term of five years. The Attorney General for Pakistan acts as ex officio Chairman of Pakistan Bar Council. Role of Attorney General is only to act as returning officer of Pakistan Bar Council elections and to publish the gazette. AG does not exercise power in matters relating to functions of Bar Council.
- Chairman Executive: The Chairman of the Executive Committee is Chief Executive of Bar Council and is elected by the members of the Council in each year. Chairman Executive Committee has full authority to decide matters of Bar Council in every aspect.
- Vice Chairman: Vice Chairman is figurehead of Bar Council and is Elected by the members of the Council in January each year. Vice Chairman is ex officio Member of each Committee of Bar Council. However, the executive powers of Bar Council are rest with Chairman Executive Committee.
- Members of Pakistan Bar Council are Elected after 4 years for a duration of 5 years by Elected Representatives of Lawyers of in Provincial Bar Councils.
- Secretary: A full-time employee of Grade 21, responsible to perform duties enshrined under the Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils Act, 1973. Subject to the provisions of the act and the rules the secretary shall, under the supervisory control of the Executive Committee
- Only those advocates recognized by the Bar Council may represent clients in the all Branches of Supreme Court of Pakistan
List of Elected Leaders
|Year||Chairman Executive||Vice Chairman|
|1966||Syed Sharif-ud-Din Pirzada||Mufazzal Hussain Khundkar|
|1967||Sh. Ghias Muhammad||Mirza Muhammad Ghulam Hafeez|
|1993||Akram Sheikh||Raja Haq Nawaz Khan|
|1994||G. M. Qureshi||Chaudhry Mohammad Ashraf Wahlah|
|1995||Latif Khosa||Abdus Samad Doga|
|1996||Mushtaq A. Memon||Hamid Khan (lawyer)|
|1997||Arif Hussain Khilji||Javaid A. Khan|
|1998||Muhammad Ashraf Wahlah||Muhammad Yousuf Leghari|
|2000||Abdul Hakeem Khan H. Bijarani||Ejaz Ahmed Rana|
|2001||Malik Rab Nawaz Noon||Muhammad Naeem Goreja|
|2002||Abdul Haleem Pirzada||Kadir Bakhsh Bhutto|
|2003||Muhammad Kazim Khan||Abdul Rahim Kazi|
|2004||Qazi Muhammad Jamil||H. Shakeel Ahmed|
|2005||Hamid Khan (lawyer)||Hafiz Abdul Rehman Ansari|
|2006||Syed Qalb-i-Hassan||Ali Ahmed Kurd|
|2007||Qazi Muhammad Anwar||Mirza Aziz Akbar Baig|
|2008||Rasheed A. Razvi||Haji Syed Rehman|
|2009-10||Muhammad Nasrullah Warraich||Abu’l Inam|
|2010-11||Haji Syed Rehman||Muhammad Kazim Khan|
|2011-12||Asrar-ul-Haq Mian||Latif Afridi|
|2012-13||Burhan Moazzam Malik||Akhtar Hussain|
|2013-14||Mian Abbas Ahmed||Syed Qalb-i-Hassan|
|2014-15||Abrar Hasan||Muhammad Ramzan Chaudhry|
- Punjab Bar Council
- Supreme Court Bar Association of Pakistan
- Lahore High Court Bar Association
- List of Pakistani Lawyers
- Asrar-ul-Haq Mian
- Shah Dil Awan