Pakistan Board of Investment
|Founded||October 1992 (as Pakistan Investment Board)|
|Headquarters||Islamabad and Karachi|
|Dr. Miftah Ismail (Special Assistant to the Prime Minister / Chairman)
Syed Iftikhar Hussain Babar (Secretary)
|Products||Inward Investment support|
Board of Investment (BOI) is the investment promotion agency of Pakistan. The Board of Investment assists companies planning to invest in Pakistan or to expand their Pakistani operations. The Board of Investment is a member of the World Association of Investment Promotion Agencies (WAIPA).
The Pakistan Investment Board (PIB) was established in October 1990. Pakistan Investment Board (PIB) was renamed as Board of Investment and declared as part of the Prime Minister’s Secretariat with effect from 27 April 1994 and the Prime Minister became the President of the Board. Thereafter, the Board of Investment was declared as an attached department of the Ministry of Industries & Production in September 1996. The Board of Investment was transferred to Ministry of Privatisation & Investment in April 2003.
The Board of Investment is currently working as an autonomous body under the BOI Ordinance which was promulgated in March, 2001, with broad based responsibilities of promotion of investment in all sectors of economy; facilitation of local and foreign investors for speedy materialization of their projects and to enhance Pakistan’s international competitiveness and contribute to economic and social development.
In October 2008 the Board of Investment became a division within the newly formed Ministry of Investment. Following a re-organisation announced on 17 December 2009, the Ministry of Investment was abolished and the Prime Minister was pleased to announce that the Board of Investment has been placed under the administrative control of Prime Minister's Secretariat.
Achieve Steady improvements in the investment environment by:
- Proposing measures to create a steadily improving investment friendly environment
- Removing and simplifying outdated unnecessary procedures, approvals and legislation
- Facilitating greater private sector role in industrial zone development
Provide exemplary leadership as the apex investment promotion body by:
- Implementing proactive cost effective responsive and targeted promotion strategies
- Delivering effective investor facilitation services on behalf of the individual investor
- Creation of a centralized databank
Strengthen linkages between public / private sectors by:
- Developing effective working relationships with other GOP federal organizations, provincial governments, district governments and Pakistan's missions in target areas.
- Promote unit and consistency in implementing shared policy objectives
- Stimulate public - private partnership to attract investment
Board of Investment’s main objective is to support long-term and sustainable economic growth in Pakistan by stimulating foreign investments and providing specific services to its clients, organizing events, publishing promotional materials, offering tailored services to foreign potential and existing investors in Pakistan, in publishing news and analysis on the economic and business developments in Pakistan.
Pakistan, under the leadership of Board of Investment has attracted foreign direct investment worth more than US$21 billion so far in the current decade, which compares to total foreign direct investment of less than $3 billion in the previous decade.
Ease of doing business
Pakistan is recognized as the easiest country in South Asia for doing business. The World Bank's latest Ease of Doing Business Index report  denotes Pakistan as the most welcome place to do business in South Asia ahead of India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc. The report also positions Pakistan higher than the BRIC countries of Brazil, Russia, India and China.
- Prime Minister of Pakistan
- Chairman, Board of Investment
- Finance Minister of Pakistan
- Minister for Industries & Production
- Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission
- Chairman, Federal Board of Revenue
- Secretary, Board of Investment
- President, Overseas Investors Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- President, Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce & Industry
- President, Pakistan Business Council
- Mr. Atif Bajwa
- Captain Faizi
- Mr. Muhammad Abdullah
- Mr. Zarar Ali Khan
- Mr. Kader Jaffar
- Mian Anis Ahmad Shaikh
- Mr. Mohsin Aziz
- Mr. Javed Saifullah Khan
- Mr. Agha Shahid
- Mr. Muhammad Anwar Ali Rajpar
- Mr. Muneer Kamal
- Mr. Khalil Sattar
- Mr. Jamal Ansari
- Mr. Ghulam Murtaza Buttar
- Mr. Faisal Afridi
- Raja Muhammad Saleem
- Ms. Sumaira Kausar
- Dr. Miftah Ismail – Chairman
- Syed Iftikhar Hussain Babar – Secretary
Departments and wings
- Administration & Investor Facilitation Wing (Admin/IF)
- Policy Planning & Legal (PP/Legal)
- Foreign Investment Wing (FI)
- Printing and Public Relations Section (P&PR)
- Regional Offices
The wide range of professional services provided by Board of Investment includes disseminating information on the opportunities for investment and facilitating companies that are looking for project sites, joint venture partners and other resources. It promotes Pakistan as an investment destination through networking, conferences and events, media relations, Pakistan’s diplomatic missions abroad, and thought leadership.
The Board of Investment acts as a focal point of contact for prospective investors, both domestic and foreign to provide them with all necessary information and assistance in coordinating with other Government Departments/Agencies.
The Board of Investment also evaluates applications of investors for the Work / Business Visa, Branch / Liaison Office and Airport Entry Passes.
Contacting Board of Investment
Board of Investment's global network will show companies why Pakistan is an ideal strategic choice for growth. By contacting the nearest Pakistani Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate, a company can get the information and assistance they need to make the right decisions.
Business leaders from across the globe work with the Board of Investment as "Honorary Investment Counsellors". They promote Pakistan internationally and highlight investment opportunities but also offer business experience and knowledge gained across a range of sectors and geographical markets.
The Board of Investment has specialist staff located at the head office in Islamabad along with offices in each of Pakistan’s four provinces.
- "Country Profile for Pakistan" (Pdf download). World Bank.