Pakistan International School, Riyadh
|Pakistan International School|
|Motto||I CAN, I WILL!|
|Grades||Kindergarten to Grade 12|
|Language||Urdu and English|
Pakistan International School, Riyadh, (PISR) is a community school in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, established in 1968, primarily for the Pakistani community in Riyadh under the permission of the late King Faisal Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Saud. Among the numerous international schools in Saudi Arabia, the PISR is the largest in terms of enrollment with a student body of over 9,000 students. Until 1989, the school functioned under the management of the Armed Forces of Pakistan but on 4 December 1990, it was taken over by the Embassy of Pakistan at Riyadh. The Ambassador of Pakistan to Saudi Arabia appoints the governing board and the principal of the school. The Ex chairman of Pakistan International School was Engr.Tariq Mahmood who with his fellow management team worked for the betterment of school till 2015.
Board of Governors
As per the rules and regulations of the Ministry of Education of Saudi Arabia, the Ambassador of Pakistan nominates the seven members Management Council from Parents, headed by a chairman under the supervision of Ministry of foreign Education Saudi Arabia. Management Council has been given comprehensive authority to run the school.
The school is affiliated with the Federal Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Islamabad. Syllabi and courses of studies prescribed by the Board are followed by the school for SSC (Grade 9-10) and HSSC (Grade 11 - 12) Examinations.
Location and Wings
There are seven constituent units of the school, called wings, situated in the neighborhood of Nasiriyah within a radius of about half a kilometer. The wings are known as:
- Senior Boys Wing-I (Grade IX-XII)
- Senior Girls Wing-I (Grade VIII-XII)
- Senior Boys Wing-II (Grade V-VIII)
- Senior Girls Wing-II (Grade V-VII)
- Junior Boys Wing (Grade I-IV)
- Junior Girls Wing (Grade I-IV)
The Principal’s office and the Administrative wing of the school are situated in a separate building adjacent to the Senior Girls Wing-I.
- Management Council
- Vice Principal
- Teaching staff
The staff is directly recruited from Pakistan or from the Pakistani community residing locally.
The school caters for the educational needs of boys and girls of the Pakistan community in Riyadh from kindergarten to grade 12. Facilities provided by the school are:
- Text books, practical note books, and progress reports are provided by the school on low charges.
- Science Laboratories existed in 1990 in both boys and girls wings. These Laboratories were fully equipped with apparatus and the materials required for conducting practicals in Physics, chemistry, Biology, Computer and Home Economics for Secondary and Higher Secondary Classes.
- Language Laboratories have been established to improve spoken proficiency in English.
- Computer classes for both boys and girls have been started in Senior Boys and Girls wings.
- A fleet of 10 air-conditioned buses is run by the school.The transport charges are SR. 175 per head per month, two buses are for the Pakistani community at Al-Kharj to pick and drop the students.
- Each wing of the school has a canteen. Students can buy eatables and some stationery items from these shops.
- Dispensaries/medical rooms are available under the supervision of Medical Staff.
- Arabic is taught from grade I to VIII as a compulsory subject.
- Religious education in classrooms is supplemented by congregational prayers in the school, and the holding of functions on days of religious significance. Instructions in the recitation of Holy Quran (Nazra) and functional Arabic Language are imparted.
- Physical Education staff impart physical training in boys and girls wings.
- Activity rooms and playrooms are provided in Junior Wings with visual aids, books, counting apparatus, models, TV, and DVD.
- The school offers its facilities as a center of examination for Board and University exams to the private candidates.
Admissions remain open throughout the year but normally held at the beginning of the Academic Session and after the Summer Vacation. Being the only recognized educational institution for the Pakistani community in the area, every Pakistani applicant is accommodated. An admission test/interview is given to the candidates by the Class Teacher or Wing Head. The age requirement for admission to Nursery is 3 and above, KG 4 and above and to class 1 is 5 and above and so on.
Medium of Instruction
Provision of both English and Urdu instruction in separate sections is available from grade V-X.
All students join a house to ensure competition in activities. The students are encouraged to participate in the following activities:
- Debates (English, Urdu)
- Qira'at Competition
- Sports Week
- School Magazine
- Quiz Competition
- Boys Scouting
- Meena Bazar
- Fun and Frolics
Societies, such as Debating Society, Computer Club and Literary Society, run co-curricular activities.
- Shahid Masood, political writer, television host, journalist and political analyst.