Pakistan Stock Exchange
|Type||Stock exchange PSX: PSX|
|Founded||11 January 2016|
|Owner||China Financial Futures Exchange (17%)|
Shanghai Stock Exchange (8%)
Shenzhen Stock Exchange (5%)
Pak China Investor Company (5%)
Habib Bank Limited (5%)
Local and Foreign Investors (60%)
|Key people||Sulaiman Mehdi |
|Currency||Pakistani rupee (₨) (PKR)|
|No. of listings||545 (April 04, 2019)|
|Market cap||₨7.6 trillion (US$46 billion) (April 04, 2019) |
|Volume||₨3.37 billion (US$20 million) (April 04, 2019)|
|Indices||KSE 100 Index|
KMI 30 Index
The Pakistan Stock Exchange (Urdu: بازارِ حِصَص پاکستان , abbreviated as PSX) is a stock exchange in Pakistan with trading floors in Karachi, Islamabad and Lahore. PSX was reclassified as a MSCI Emerging Market in May 2017, while the FTSE classifies PSX as a Secondary Emerging Market.
The PSX was established on 11 January 2016 after the merger of the Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad stock exchanges. PSX's origins were laid with the establishment of the Karachi Stock Exchange in 1947, the Lahore Stock Exchange in 1970 and the Islamabad Stock Exchange in 1992. As of 23 February 2018, there were 559 companies listed in PSX and the total market capitalisation was US$84 billion. Market cap lowered to US$50 billion by January 2020 following rupee devaluation.
The investors on the exchanges include 1,886 foreign institutional investors and 883 domestic institutional investors along with about 0.22 million retail investors. There are also about 400 brokerage houses which are members of the PSX as well as 21 asset management companies. One of the PSX's precursor stock exchanges, the Karachi Stock Exchange, was listed among the world's best performing frontier stock markets: between 2009 and 2015 it delivered 26% a year. However, in 2019 Bloomberg claimed that the PSX was the 'world's worst', having erased 'half their market value'. In December 2016, PSX sold 40% strategic shares to a Chinese consortium for US$85 million.
Karachi Stock Exchange
Founded on 18 September 1947, Karachi Stock Exchange Limited (KSE) was registered in Pakistan. The Karachi Stock Exchange Limited (KSE), was a stock exchange located at the Stock Exchange Building (SEB) on Stock Exchange Road, in the heart of Karachi's Business District, I. I. Chundrigar Road, Karachi, Sindh Province of Pakistan. It was Pakistan's largest, and one of the oldest stock exchanges in South Asia. Karachi Stock Exchange was also listed among 10 best stock markets in the world in 2015. According to Bloomberg, the Pakistani benchmark stock market index is the third-best performer in the world since 2009. In June 2015, Khaleej Times reported that since 2009, the Pakistani equities delivered 26 percent a year for US dollar investors, making Karachi the best-performing stock exchange in the world. As of 10 July 2015, total market capitalization reached Rs. 7.33 trillion (US$72 billion approximately).
Lahore Stock Exchange
Lahore Stock Exchange is located in Lahore, Pakistan. It was amalgamated into the national Pakistan Stock Exchange on 11 January 2016. The Lahore Stock Exchange (Guarantee) Limited came into existence in October 1970, under the Securities and Exchange Ordinance of 1969 by the Government of Pakistan in response to the needs of the provincial metropolis of the province of Punjab. It initially had 83 members and was housed in a rented building in the crowded Bank Square area of Lahore.
Islamabad Stock Exchange
Islamabad Stock Exchange or ISE was the youngest of the three stock exchanges of Pakistan and is located in the capital of Pakistan. Islamabad stock exchange (ISE) was incorporated as a guarantee-limited company on 25 October 1989 in Islamabad. ISE tower is a 22-storey building, which makes it the second highest building of Islamabad after the Telecom Tower. Area covered by the building is 562,629 sq ft (52,269.9 m2), it consists of three levels of basements and ground plus 18 floors above.
PSX was launched on 11 January 2016. Prior to the formal launch, the Karachi Stock Exchange held a two-day pre-production mock trading session for all certificate holders of the three bourses. The integration is expected to help reduce market fragmentation and create a strong case for attracting strategic partnerships necessary for providing technological expertise and assistance. The integration of the three exchanges has completed the second phase of the Stock Exchanges Demutualisation and Integration Act 2012, passed by a joint session of parliament.
On 29 June 2020, the stock exchange building in Karachi was attacked by several armed assailants from Baluchistan Liberation Army, a terrorist organisation. All four of the assailants were killed by police before they could enter the building and a bomb disposal squad was sent to the building.
- "Pakistan Stock Exchange Limited - | Psx | Exchange". www.psx.com.pk. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- Akhtar, Adeel. "About Pakistan Stock Exchange (www.psx.com.pk)". www.ksestocks.com. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- "Pakistan Stock Exchange formally launched".
- "Pakistan Stock Exchange formally launched: Dar seeks joint economic road map for Pakistan".
- "Market dips as MSCI reclassifies PSX to Emerging Markets Index". Dawn. 16 May 2017. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "FTSE Country Classification Process" (PDF). ftserussell.com. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "FTSE takes Pakistan off its watch list". Dawn. 19 September 2008. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "Ishaq Dar formally launches Pakistan Stock Exchange".
- "Pakistan Stock Exchange starts functioning". Channel 24.
- "Pakistan Stock Exchange to be launched tomorrow". DNA India. 10 January 2016.
- "PSX risks losing emerging market status". www.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 8 May 2020.
- "Pakistan Stock Exchange: a quantum leap for Pakistan's capital market". DailyTimes. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Stock exchange: Pakistan likely to win emerging market status". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "KSE world's best performing frontier stock market: report". The Express Tribune. 3 June 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- Mangi, Fasih. "Pakistan Wants to Help Brokers in World's Worst Stock Market". Retrieved 30 April 2020.
- "PSX sells 40pc stake to Chinese consortium". DAWN.COM. 23 December 2016. Retrieved 24 December 2016.
- "Pakistan Stock Exchange formally launched".
- News, Dawn. "Pakistan Stock Exchange formally launched".
- Houreld, Katharine (10 April 2013). "Insight: Pakistan's booming market no black and white matter". Yahoo News. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Times, Khaleej (29 October 2015). "Karachi Stock Exchange among 10 best stock markets in the world in 2015". Scene on Hai. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "Pakistan central bank cuts benchmark rate to 42-year low". AFRWEEKEND. 24 May 2015. Archived from the original on 24 May 2015. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
- "KSE world's best performing frontier stock market: report". The Express Tribune. 3 June 2015. Archived from the original on 8 June 2015. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "Pak equities to extend bull run on strong fundamentals". Khaleej Times. 1 June 2015. Archived from the original on 1 June 2015. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- Dawn.com (11 January 2016). "Pakistan Stock Exchange formally launched". www.dawn.com. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Pakistan stock exchange attacked by armed men". The Guardian. 29 June 2020. Retrieved 29 June 2020.