Pakistani Telecom Spectrum Auction
2014 Spectrum Auction
On 14 April 2014, four companies submitted their bids to PTA, includes Zong, Ufone, Telenor and Mobilink, while Warid Telecom did not submit. Reuters confirmed that Mobilink and Zong bid for 10 MHz while Telenor and Ufone bid for 5 MHz.
Pakistan's first spectrum auction was held in 2014, 3G and 4G telecom spectrum were auctioned by PTA. The Government earned $903 million from 3G auction and $210 million from 4G auction with total revenue of $1.1 billion from both auctions. Zong won the first ever 4G license in Pakistan from 1800 MHz band. Another license for 4G was not won by any participant. In 3G category, Zong along with Mobilink won 2x10 MHz license from 2100 MHz band. Ufone and Telenor won 2x5 MHz license for 3G from the same band.
Five companies participated in the auction were:
- "Pakistan completes 3G,4G license auction". thenews.com.pk. 23 April 2014. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "PTA Receives Bids for Spectrum Auction for Next Generation Mobile Services". pta.gov.pk. 14 April 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- ZAHRA-MALIK, MEHREEN (15 April 2014). "Pakistan's long awaited 3G, 4G auction draws disappointing bids". reuters.com. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Hassan, Syed Raza (23 April 2014). "Pakistan raises $1.1 billion from first 3G, 4G auction". businessinsider.com. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Abbas, Nosheen (23 April 2014). "Pakistan holds first 4G mobile network auction". bbc.com. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Zaidi, Murtaza. "Pakistan Telecommunication Authority publishes auction results". Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Zaidi, Murtaza. "Next-generation licence: Govt raises $1.128 billion in spectrum auction". Retrieved 23 April 2014.