Palacode is located on the northwest region of Tamil Nadu in Dharmapuri district with an average elevation of 533 meters above MSL. The terrain can be described as rolling in nature. The taluk extends to an area of 73,267 h.a, covering 16% of the district's total area. The various proportional area divisions are:
- Forests - 31.86%
- Barren Lands - 3.17%
- Non Agricultural use -3.4%
- Cultivable Waste Land - 0.35%
- Permanent Cultivated Land and Grassland - 0.90%
- Current Fallow - 1.74%
- Other Fallow Lands - 0.65%
The taluk has reserves of black granite.
According to the 2011 census, the taluk of Palakkodu had a population of 345,906 with 178,514 males and 167,392 females. There were 938 women for every 1000 men. The taluk had a literacy rate of 41.04. Child population in the age group below 6 was 20,954 Males and 18,600 Females.
Some Important Places
Dharmapuri District Co Operative Sugar Mills Limited
This is a co-operative sugar mill established in the year 1971-72. The present crushing capacity of the mill is 2000 M.T. A polytechnic college (named Dharmapuri District Co-op. Sugar Mills Polytechnic College) was established in 1985 under the management of the sugar-mill.
Government Polytechnic College
The college was established by the state government in 2010 in Boomandahalli village and extends to an area of 5 acres. The Government College of Engineering, Dharmapuri is also functioning here temporarily.
Modhur is an important historical site, situated about 15 km from Dharmapuri. The antiquity of Modhur village went back to the Neolithic age (about 10,000 years old). It had a succession of habitations. In the surface collection, the site yielded black and red ware, slipped ware and few grey pottery of the Megalithic period (about 3,000 years old). Two hero stone inscriptions of the Hoysala king were also found.More than 20 Megalithic burials were found at Tirumalvadi, near Modhur. A Chola period inscription of the 10th century, which was found in the village, indicated that Chola kings had imposed tax for marriages.
List of Village Panchayats in Palacode Taluk
- Annamalai Hally
- "Microsoft Word - 48EF6BF3-1E92-28B9A6.doc" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Dharmapuri District Profile". Dharmapuri.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Are You Surprised" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Provisional Population Totals - Tamil Nadu-Census 2011" (PDF). Census Tamil Nadu. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 June 2013. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "Dharmapuri Dt. Coop Sugar Mills Polytechnic College in Palikadu". Veethi. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Tamil Nadu / Dharmapuri News : Archaeological Dept. to take up excavation in Dharmapuri". The Hindu. 2004-12-15. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Modhur village throws up evidence to Dharmapuri's neolithic connection". The New Indian Express. 2013-05-13. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Palakcode Taluk of Dharmapuri (Tamil Nadu, India) – Cities, Villages and Places". Chennaiiq.com. Retrieved 2016-12-01.