eastern ghats near Palakonda
|• Total||6.50 km2 (2.51 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,800/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Araku|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Palakonda|
Palakonda is located at  It has an average elevation of 44 meters (147 feet)..
According to the Imperial Gazetteer of India, Palkonda Taluk was in Vizagapatnam district with a total area of 502 square miles (1,300 km2). The cultivated land is irrigated by the Nagavali River. The Agency area contains about 56 square miles (150 km2) of Reserved Forest. The population in 1901 was 215,376 compared with 201,331 in 1891. There were two towns Palkonda and Razam and 334 villages. The Agency area had population of about 11,000 people, chiefly Savaras living in 106 villages. The greater part of Taluk was held on Ryotwari and belongs to Rajas of Bobbili and Vizianagram.
It was within Ganjam District of Orissa state till 1950 when Srikakulam district was formed.
Government and politics
Palakonda is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh reserved for Scheduled Castes. There were 120,726 registered voters in this constituency in 1999 elections. Now from 2009 onwards the Assembly Constituency reservation changed to S.T.
List of elected members:
|Year||Winner||Party||Votes||Runner Up||Party||Votes||Margin (majority)|
|2014||Viswasarai Kalavathi||YSRCP||55337||Jaya Krishna Nimmaka||TDP||53717||1620|
- GENERAL SEAT
- 1951 – Sri Palavalasa Sangam Naidu
- RESERVED FOR SCHEDULE CASTE
- 1978 – Sri Kambala Rajaratnam
- 1983 – Sri Gonipati Syamala Rao
- 1985 – Sri Tale Bhadrayya
- 1989 – Smt Amrutha Kumari P.J.
- 1994 – Sri Tale Bhadrayya
- 1999 - Smt Amrutha Kumari P.J.
- 2004 – Sri Kambala Jogulu
- RESERVED FOR SCHEDULE TRIBE
- 2009 – Sri Nimmaka Sugreevulu
- 2014 – Smt Viswasarai Kalavathi
- "STATISTICAL INFORMATION OF ULBs & UDAs" (PDF). Directorate of Town and Country Planning. Government of Andhra Pradesh. p. 1. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Srikakulam district mandals" (PDF). Census of India. The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. pp. 175, 209. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "Nagar panchayat chief in ACB net – The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 December 2015.
- Falling Rain Genomics.Palkonda
- Imperial Gazetteer of India, Vol. 19, pp: 367-8.
- "Municipality Contacts". Archived from the original on 15 May 2015.
- Election Commission of India.1978-2004 results.Palakonda Archived 2007-09-30 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Palakonda.|