|Don Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature|
|Awarded for||Excellence in literary works|
The Don Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature, popularly known as the Palanca Awards, are a set of literary awards for Philippine writers. Usually referred to as the "Pulitzer Prize of the Philippines", it is the country's highest literary honor in terms of prestige. Winning works are entered in the competition either as previously published pieces or in manuscript form. The Palanca Awards, organized by the Carlos Palanca Foundation, is one of the Philippines' longest-running awards programs.
It was named after Carlos Palanca Sr.
The Palanca Awards was established in 1950 to inspire and recognize Philippine writers, including poets, playwrights and screenwriters, and writers for children. In the 1960s, the Palanca Awards Committee started to fund the publication of Palanca Award-winning plays, and production funds were committed in 1975. In 2009, it added a category for poetry for children, in both Tagalog and English.
Starting on the 60th awards year, for which the call for submissions opened on March 1, 2010 (ended April 30, 2010), contestants could submit one entry each in the following categories:
- Short story
- Short story for children
- Poetry written for children
- One-act play
- Full-length play
- Maikling Kuwento (Short story in Filipino)
- Maikling Kuwentong Pambata (Short story for children in Filipino)
- Sanaysay (Essay in Filipino)
- Tula (Poetry in Filipino)
- Tulang Isinulat Para sa mga Bata (Poetry for children in Filipino)
- Dulang May Isang Yugto (One-act play in Filipino)
- Dulang Ganap ang Haba (Full-length play in Filipino)
- Dulang Pampelikula (Screenplay in Filipino)
Regional languages division
- Short story in Cebuano
- Short story in Hiligaynon
- Short story in Iluko
Kabataan division (Open only to those below 18 years of age)
- Kabataan essay
- Kabataan sanaysay
Palanca Hall of Fame
The Palanca Hall of Fame honors was established in 1995 and is presented to a Palanca awardee who already won five first prizes in the regular categories.
- Cirilo Bautista
- Gregorio C. Brillantes
- Ruth Elynia S. Mabanglo
- Buenaventura S. Medina Jr.
- Jesus T. Peralta
- Rolando Tinio
- Rene Villanueva
- Aguilar, Dheza Marie (2007-09-15). "Ang Ika-57 Gawad Carlos Palanca". Manila Standard. Archived from the original on 2007-12-17. Retrieved 2007-12-17., from Internet Archives
- "Palanca Awards announces deadline for submission of entries P". Philstar.com. 2009-04-27. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- "Deadline for Palanca awards entries set April 30". Sun.Star Manila. 2007-04-27. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- Fernandez, Doreen (1996). Palabas: essays on Philippine theater history. Ateneo de Manila Publishing. p. 22. ISBN 971-550-188-5. Retrieved 2009-04-30.