Map of Palawan Province with Palawan Island highlighted in white
|Location||South East Asia|
|Adjacent bodies of water|
|Area||12,189 km2 (4,706 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||2,085 m (6,841 ft)|
|Highest point||Mount Mantalingahan|
|Capital and largest city||Puerto Princesa (pop. 222,673)|
|Pop. density||35.28 /km2 (91.37 /sq mi)|
Palawan is the largest island of the province of Palawan in the Philippines and the fifth largest island of the country. The northern coast of the island is along the South China Sea, while the southern coast forms part of the northern limit of the Sulu Sea. This island is very undeveloped and traditional. Abundant wildlife, jungle mountains, and white sandy beaches attract many tourists.
As of 2016, the main island of Palawan is rated the "Most Beautiful Island in the World" as voted by respective readers of rival travel publications Conde Nast Traveller and Travel + Leisure. It is the second year running that Palawan has won the Conde Nast Traveller award, as well as the second time in four years that it has occupied Travel + Leisure's top spot (2013). El Nido, located at the northern tip of the island, is also currently rated the "Most Beautiful Beach in the World" by Conde Nast Traveller readers. In 2007, National Geographic Traveler magazine rated Palawan the best island destination in East and Southeast Asia region, having "incredibly beautiful natural seascapes and landscapes. One of the most biodiverse (terrestrial and marine) islands in the Philippines. The island has had a Biosphere Reserve status since early 1990s, showing local interest for conservation and sustainable development".
In April 2013, a fishing vessel loaded with illegally poached animals ran aground on a coral atoll off the coast of Palawan Island.
In 2014, armed forces chief of staff General Emmanuel Bautista said that Oyster Bay may be developed into a naval base with United States Navy support.
- C.Michael Hogan. 2011. Sulu Sea. Encyclopedia of Earth. Eds. P.Saundry & C.J.Cleveland. Washington DC
- C.Michael Hogan. 2011. Sulu Sea
- "Palawan, the Philippines: The Most Beautiful Island in the World"., Conde Nast Traveller. 16 January 2016. Retrieved 16 September 2016
- "The World's Best Islands".Travel + Leisure. 2016. Retrieved 16 September 2016
- "Best Islands in the World: Readers Choice Awards 2015".Conde Nast Traveller. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 16 September 2016
- "World's Best Islands 2013".Travel + Leisure. 2016. Retrieved 16 September 2016
- "The 20 Most Beautiful Beaches in the World".
- "Destinations Rated: Islands".
- "Poachers' boat hits coral reef". 3 News NZ. April 17, 2013.
- Mogato, Manuel (15 May 2014). "Philippines Offer US A Nearby Naval Base Amid Chinese Moves". www.businessinsider.com. Reuters. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Media related to Palawan (island) at Wikimedia Commons
- Geographic data related to Palawan (island) at OpenStreetMap
|This article about a location in Mimaropa region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|