Location within Rooks County and Kansas
|• Total||0.27 sq mi (0.70 km2)|
|• Land||0.27 sq mi (0.70 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,277 ft (694 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||280|
|• Density||1,000/sq mi (400/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|FIPS code||20-54125 |
|GNIS feature ID||0485295 |
Palco was originally called Cresson, after Cresson, Pennsylvania, and under the latter name was founded in 1887. It was renamed Palco about 1888 for two Union Pacific Railroad workers named Palmer and Coe.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Palco has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 277 people, 112 households, and 71 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,025.9 inhabitants per square mile (396.1/km2). There were 153 housing units at an average density of 566.7 per square mile (218.8/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 94.2% White, 3.2% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.4% Pacific Islander, 0.4% from other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.1% of the population.
There were 112 households of which 34.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.9% were married couples living together, 15.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 36.6% were non-families. 33.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 3.11.
The median age in the city was 32.7 years. 30.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 20.6% were from 25 to 44; 22.7% were from 45 to 64; and 18.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 46.9% male and 53.1% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 248 people, 126 households, and 72 families residing in the city. The population density was 930.0 people per square mile (354.6/km²). There were 152 housing units at an average density of 570.0 per square mile (217.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.37% White, 1.21% African American, 1.61% Native American, and 0.81% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.40% of the population.
There were 126 households out of which 23.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.6% were married couples living together, 7.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.1% were non-families. 41.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.97 and the average family size was 2.60. 90% of residents of Palco are related to each other.
In the city the population was spread out with 19.0% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 23.0% from 25 to 44, 25.4% from 45 to 64, and 25.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 86.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,036, and the median income for a family was $33,500. Males had a median income of $25,500 versus $17,500 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,519. About 5.7% of families and 14.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.1% of those under the age of eighteen and 11.3% of those sixty five or over.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved September 17, 2011.
- Rydjord, John (1972). Kansas Place-Names. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman. p. 452. ISBN 0-8061-0994-7.
- Kansas State Historical Society (1916). Biennial Report of the Board of Directors of the Kansas State Historical Society. Kansas State Printing Plant. p. 277.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Palco, Kansas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Palco, Kansas.|
- USD 269, local school district
- Palco City Map, KDOT