Palestine at the 2016 Summer Olympics
|Palestine at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Palestine Olympic Committee|
|in Rio de Janeiro|
|Competitors||6 in 4 sports|
|Flag bearer||Mayada Al-Sayad|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Palestine Olympic Committee sent the nation's largest ever delegation to the Games. A total of six athletes, four men and two women, were selected to the Palestinian team across four different sports. Four of them were invited to compete in their respective sporting events, with the other two qualifying for the Games on merit. Among the sports represented by the athletes, Palestine marked its Olympic debut in equestrian.
The Palestinian roster featured middle-distance freestyle swimmer Ahmed Gebrel, the lone returning Olympian from London 2012, and three of its athletes being born and raised in Germany: judoka Simon Yacoub (men's 66 kg), dressage rider and dual citizen Christian Zimmermann, and marathon runner Mayada Al-Sayad, who led the delegation as the nation's flag bearer in the opening ceremony, the second female in history since Sanna Abubkheet did so in 2004. Palestine, whose athletes have been allowed to compete under its flag by the International Olympic Committee only since 1996, has yet to win its first Olympic medal.
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- Track & road events
|Mohammed Abu Khoussa||Men's 100 m||10.82||3 q||11.89||9||Did not advance|
|Mayada Al-Sayad||Women's marathon||N/A||2:42:28||67|
Palestine has entered one dressage rider into the Olympic equestrian competition by virtue of a top finish from Africa and the Middle East in the individual FEI Olympic rankings, signifying the nation's Olympic debut in the sport.
|Athlete||Horse||Event||Grand Prix||Grand Prix Special||Grand Prix Freestyle||Overall|
|Christian Zimmermann||Aramis||Individual||63.271||57||Did not advance|
Palestine has received an invitation from the Tripartite Commission to send a judoka competing in the men's extra-lightweight category (60 kg) to the Olympics.
|Athlete||Event||Round of 64||Round of 32||Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Repechage||Final / BM|
|Simon Yacoub||Men's −60 kg|| Khyar (FRA)
|Did not advance|
|Ahmed Gebrel||Men's 200 m freestyle||1:59:71||47||Did not advance|
|Mary Al-Atrash||Women's 50 m freestyle||28.76||62||Did not advance|
- "The Flagbearers for the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony". International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Six Palestinian athletes participating in Rio Olympics". Palestine News Network. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- Lieber, Dov (2 August 2016). "Palestinians send 6 athletes to Rio — half of them Germans". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "IAAF Games of the XXX Olympiad – Rio 2016 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Six nations make Olympic and Paralympic débuts at Rio 2016 equestrian events". FEI. 24 March 2016. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- "Swimming World Rankings". FINA. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "Rio 2016 – FINA Swimming Qualification System" (PDF). Rio 2016. FINA. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Abu Ganayeh, Mustafa (29 June 2016). "Female Palestinian swimmer readies to compete in Rio". Haaretz. Retrieved 19 July 2016.