Palestinian Human Rights Monitoring Group
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Bassem Eid (Executive Director)|
The Palestinian Human Rights Monitoring Group was a human rights group founded in 1996 by Bassem Eid, a former fieldworker for B'Tselem. According to B'Tselem, PHRMG "monitors human rights violations by both Israel and the Palestinian National Authority". According to NGO Monitor, PHRMG ”documents human rights violations committed against Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem, regardless of who is responsible.” In April 2006 the group published its final regular bulletin on human rights. In 2011, the group closed its doors due to lack of funding.
The group included a focus on rights violations by Palestinian authorities because, according to Eid, "I feel I must protect my nation from any kind of authority, even its own authority... I want the Palestinians to build a democratic state, not just extend their authority.” In 1997 the Washington Post described PHRMG as "defying a taboo" among human rights organizations against criticizing violations of human rights by Palestinian governing authorities.
According to pro-Israel advocate group NGO Monitor, funding organizations included Ireland Aid-Development Cooperation Division, The Moriah Fund, Finnish Representative Office to the PA, and Foundation for Middle East Peace (FMEP), but NGO Monitor does not provide any evidence for those claims.
PHRMG was founded by Eid when he quit B'Tselem over the organization's decision to monitor a report on Israeli violations of human rights, but not on those committed by the Palestinian Authority or other Palestinian Arab groups.
- "Human Rights Links". B'Tselem. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Palestinian Human Rights Monitoring Group (PHRMG)". ngo-monitor.org. NGO Monitor. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Web Archive of PHRMG website". PHRMG. Archived from the original on February 11, 2007. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- Muvarchik, Joshua (18 November 2015). "Bassem Eid Made 'B'Tselem' Famous by Reporting Israeli Abuses. Now He's a Traitor". Tablet Magazine. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- Gellman, Barton (27 May 1997). "Palestinian Rights Group Accuses Arafat's Authority Of 'Large-Scale' Torture". Washington Post. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
|This organization-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|