View of Deira Islands from Deira, Dubai
United Arab Emirates
Deira Islands (Arabic: جزر ديرة) are four artificial islands off the coast of Deira, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The project was initially called Palm Deira and was planned to be part of the Palm Islands.
In 2004, Dubai Developer Nakheel launched the Palm Deira project as an 11 billion dirham property development off the coast of Deira in Dubai that was due to contain up to 8,000 villas. Dutch dredging contractor Van Oord was recruited to start the project in 2005. By early October 2007, 20% of the initial palm island's reclamation was complete, with a total of 200 million cubic metres (7 billion cubic feet) of sand already used. Then in early April 2008, Nakheel announced that more than a quarter of the total area of the Palm Deira had been reclaimed.
On October 2013, Nakheel re-branded the project as Deira Islands. Deira Islands were developed to include the Deira Night Souk, Deira Mall, and Deira Island Towers and Boulevard on the islands to develop it into a shopping, retail, and housing waterfront. The project added 40km of coastline and 21km of beach to Dubai. In December 2016 a bridge linking the mainland to the islands were opened.
Deira Night Souk
The Deira Night Souk is a 1.9km market place that stretch along the coast of the Deira Islands opposite the mainland. According to the developers, Deira Night Souk is the biggest night market in the world.
Deira Mall is a 6.5 million sqft and 1,100 retail space mall that is being developed on the islands. The design contract of the mall was awarded in June 2014.
- Nakheel, the real estate developer of Palm Islands
- The World, another artificial island project in Dubai.
- Tourism in Dubai
- Fahy, Micheal (29 June 2015). "Deira Islands to get 25.3km coastline in Nakheel contract with Dutch dredger Van Oord". The National.
- Nagraj, Aarti (19 February 2017). "In pics: World's biggest night market takes shape at Dubai's Deira Islands". Gulf Business.
- Nagraj, Aarti (2 November 2014). "Dubai's Nakheel To Lease 5,000 Shops At Deira Islands Night Souk". Gulf Business.
Media related to The Palm at Wikimedia Commons