Palm nut soup
Palm nut soup is a soup made from the palm fruit  common to the African community. In Ghana, palm nut soup is called dedetsi by the people in the Volta region, and abenkwan by the Akans. In Nigeria, it is called banga soup, ofe akwu, oghwo amiedi, or izuwo ibiedi. The delicacy is used to accompany other dishes such as fufu, banku, rice and so on.
Banga, also known as Oghwo amiedi in Urhobo language and izuwo ibiedi in Isoko language, is a type of palm fruit soup from Southern the Niger Delta Nigeria particularly the Itsekiri ethnic group. This cuisine is quite different from "Ofe Akwu" which is a variant found in Igbo culture. The Binis have a soup from palm fruits similar to "Ofe Aku" in ingredients and manner of preparation.
Banga soup is flavored with beletete, aidan fruit, rohojie, Banga spice leaves called Obenetietien) (scent or bitter leaves can be substituted), a stick of oburunbebe, finely chopped onion, ground crayfish, chili pepper or scotch bonnet, and salt. The soup sometimes eaten with a cocoyam (taro) pudding called kwacoco. Banga Soup is mostly prepared using fresh catfish (fresh fish Banga soup) dried/smoked fish or meat.
The soup can also make a delicious dish with the addition of Okra vegetable.
Mbanga soup is a palm fruit soup in Cameroonian cuisine and West African cuisine. It is often served with kwacoco. The soup is Cameroon's bersion of the West African Banga (soup), a palm fruit soup eaten in areas including parts of Nigeria. In Cameroon mbanga is made using fresh palm nuts. Outside the area canned nuta can be used.
- Saffery, D. (2007). The Ghana Cookery Book. Jeppestown Press. p. 50. ISBN 978-0-9553936-6-2.
- Yussif, E. (2013). The Facet of Black Culture. Trafford Publishing. p. 53. ISBN 978-1-4669-8847-7.
- Afriyie, B.S. (2012). Concise Ict Fundamentals Volume Two. AuthorHouse. p. 340. ISBN 978-1-4669-6785-4.
- "Banga Soup Recipes | Food Network Canada". foodnetwork.ca. Retrieved 2020-06-04.
- "Banga Soup (Ofe Akwu)". All Nigerian Recipes. Retrieved 2020-06-04.
- "Ofe Akwu - Igbo Style Banga Soup". Sisi Jemimah. 2015-09-22. Retrieved 2020-06-04.
- How to make Banga Soup : Efik Banga Soup by Nky Lily Lete April 2013 Nigerian Food TV
- Saffery, David (2007). The Ghana Cookery Book. Jeppestown Press. pp. 50, 51. ISBN 9780955393662.
- Osseo-Asare, Fran (November 24, 2005). Food Culture in Sub-Saharan Africa. Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN 9780313324888 – via Google Books.
- Crush, Jonathan; Battersby, Jane (September 23, 2016). Rapid Urbanisation, Urban Food Deserts and Food Security in Africa. Springer. ISBN 9783319435671 – via Google Books.
- "Mbanga/Palmnut Soup". February 13, 2013.